Why do my butts and briskets smell like fart after cooled down and put in the fridge?

I would say change one thing at a time until you find the source of the issue. Science is your friend here.

I think skip has probably nailed it....

The most prized hams in Europe were once from feral pigs that foraged for acorns. Commercial animal husbandry changed their diet. But the hams of today are still some of the most highly prized in the world.

I am puzzled that both pork and beef offer the same results....

I assume the meats are tightly wrapped not to absorb any external odors (IE: from cheese ect).

So it could be in the feed, it could be the type of wood, or it could be a spice and how it reacts with the proteins during cooking. Try only using simple salt and pepper on one.

Like the others have suggested...
Take steps logically and change things one at a time (wood type, spice) keeping everything tightly wrapped until you find the source. If nothing changes then you are down to the meat itself

I have a couple of styrofoam coolers I use to rest foiled meats after cooking.
When I open the cooler, there can be a bit of a "stench". There's nothing wrong with the meat, and it never drops below 140, but there is a noticeable "off" smell.

Just a thought.

I have a couple of styrofoam coolers I use to rest foiled meats after cooking.
When I open the cooler, there can be a bit of a "stench". There's nothing wrong with the meat, and it never drops below 140, but there is a noticeable "off" smell.

Just a thought.

This! :clap:

3 years and still looking for wood? :shock:
I've never heard of this. Is this a legitimate thread?

Stirring the pot makes things smell like fart too. Remember, you DON'T need to respond to every thread and we have new members coming in all the time. Help is always better than sarcasm!

Bob

This reminds me of a Ron White joke about his wife's bad cooking. Apparently he gave their dog "Slugo" something his wife cooked. Ron said "He had to lick his a** to get the taste out of his mouth." LOL!

You aren't using Surströmming in your rub recipes are you??

Back