Thoughts so far on LSG offset

You are the one that is complaining about things. I am not defensive at all. Just wondering if you have ever contacted Chris about your problem with the smoker. I cannot help you. My smoker works just great and if there is fail on the cook, it is me, not the screwdriver or hammer.

If you have always cooked with your firebox doors open, then sit back and enjoy you cooker.

Ah, Springram, you seem to be a paid cheer leader for LSG or something. I just saw this thread again, after having read the original post. I have the same issue. Using 2 year seasoned oak, ~15 inch splits, of various thickness. I leave the door open. If I close it I get lots of white smoke even when I'm practically all coals.

Yep, you got it. How did you know? ha ha Sure would like to see some of that money! Can you tell me where it is? If I was you guys, I would sell your defective cooker and cook with something other than a stick burner. Remember, if something does not work right, it has to be someone or something else that is at fault.

If there is a problem... call Chris at LSG. Do something about it.

There’s a barely used one for 1/2 price on the for sale forum. Someone jump on it.

Looks like my next video should be on fire management, building a proper fire, and how to maintain temps durning your cooks on the LSG offset. Until then a couple points. Stack should always be wide open. It’s going to take 45-75 minutes to get your pit up to temp and establish a good bed of coals. For about the first 20-30 minutes the door should be wide open, then crack it for 5-10 minutes, then shut with damper wide open. Then close down damper to fine tune the temp. Pit will consume 1-2 splits every 1-2 hours @225-250 in the 24” pits those are full sized splits (14-18” and 3-5” in diameter) on the 20” pits that’s half sized splits (7-9” and 3-5” in diameter). I prefer to start with about a diner sized plate of lump charcoal (this provides me with a instant bed of coals and then the wood will replenish the coals from then on, if during a long cook you are running low on coals then a handful along with a fresh split is fine) and 2-3 splits of good seasoned wood stacked in the center on top the charcoal. Wood should be seasoned 3-6 months not enough and it won’t burn clean or hot and to long and it doesn’t leave good coals and burns up quicker. Then it’s just a matter of adding wood as needed. The key is a small hot burning fire. Stuff the box with to much wood, unseasoned wood, too large of splits and it smolders with white dirty smoke. Follow these simple rules and you will have clean blue smoke. Build a massive fire to start with then try to choke it down yes it will look like a train puffing white bitter smoke, even then though all is not lost, be patient let it regulate itself and organize it into that small clean hot burning fire. You won’t add food until the pit is at temp and maintained with clean blue smoke, 45-75 minutes after starting the fire. Every time you add a split you will get a little white smoke until that split lites. Couple things that will help is preheating splits on the griddle plate and leave the door cracked open for a couple minutes after adding a new split. I know some people prefer cooking with the fire box door wide open and that’s just fine nothing wrong with that but it’s not made to work that way mostly because your having to build a much larger fire than if the door was closed and temp is regulated with the intake damper. Hope this explanation helps anyone having issues with fire management and as always you can call me at the office, I am always available to coach anybody that asks for help.

Chris Goodlander
Lone Star Grillz

Thanks Chris. I am very interested in this pit and called a couple weeks ago to ask about the intake size. I love the quality of your pits but have heard the concern about intake size a bunch of times, including on YouTube. I'm just not keen on the idea of having to keep the door open for upwards of 40 minutes. Do you think a marginal increase in intake would harm the overall design or cost? As a consumer that cannot travel to see the pit in person, it's hard to pull the trigger. I want to be clear, however, that I appreciate all you and your team do. Just wanted to be frank.

Thanks Chris. I am very interested in this pit and called a couple weeks ago to ask about the intake size. I love the quality of your pits but have heard the concern about intake size a bunch of times, including on YouTube. I'm just not keen on the idea of having to keep the door open for upwards of 40 minutes. Do you think a marginal increase in intake would harm the overall design or cost? As a consumer that cannot travel to see the pit in person, it's hard to pull the trigger. I want to be clear, however, that I appreciate all you and your team do. Just wanted to be frank.

Where are you seeing this? I think I've watched every 20 x 42 review on YouTube and I'm also on the LSG Fan Page on Facebook. I've seen nothing but positive feedback on the design so where are you seeing negative feedback? I can see issues if you are trying to feed it 20" splits, but Chris specifically advises using small "Coke Can" splits for the new 20" models.

Thanks for posting, Chris. If you made a fire management video, I sure would watch it. I'll give you call or send you a PM next time I have a simple question, since your groupies are annoying as hell. Thanks again.

Jeremy Luna

Go back and read everything in these posts and you will see what was told you by this "groupie" just happens to be what Chris outlined in his post. Problem with guys like you is that your testosterone gets in the way of your ability to listen to other people who are trying to help you and understand why you are having problems with your cooker. But, you're the big man who knows all.

Quite frankly, I don't care anymore about your inability to run your cooker properly. Some Brethren just aren't Brethren to me. Good bye.

Where are you seeing this? I think I've watched every 20 x 42 review on YouTube and I'm also on the LSG Fan Page on Facebook. I've seen nothing but positive feedback on the design so where are you seeing negative feedback? I can see issues if you are trying to feed it 20" splits, but Chris specifically advises using small "Coke Can" splits for the new 20" models.

Great question. I'll grab some links when I get a few minutes. To be clear, what I've seen is owners talking about the need to keep the door open for longer periods, which they may not be "complaining" about, but to me translates into a concern when coupled with comments I've read online. Looking at the cooker, it just looks like the damper size is a bit small for the firebox when you compare it to other cookers out there. It very well could be perfectly fine, but in watching fire video management videos on other cookers, folks don't seem to need to keep the door open for as long. Not trying to be a keyboard warrior here, and I may be totally off base as I don't own one. Just hard to spend the money if you have lingering concerns.

Go back and read everything in these posts and you will see what was told you by this "groupie" just happens to be what Chris outlined in his post. Problem with guys like you is that your testosterone gets in the way of your ability to listen to other people who are trying to help you and understand why you are having problems with your cooker. But, you're the big man who knows all.

Quite frankly, I don't care anymore about your inability to run your cooker properly. Some Brethren just aren't Brethren to me. Good bye.

Hey I hope you know I was just kidding with my post about being a paid cheerleader. I should have put a smiley.

Chris: Thanks for posting. The details really help. I was basically going by what I saw Aaron Franklin say in a video, about leaving the door open. So when I got dirty smoke with it closed I just went with that method. But your post really points out some of the mistakes I was making. Thanks for all the tips. I'm all for using less fuel.

Thank Chris for the sage advice!
I realized with my first few cooks I built too small of fires at the start, did not let it heat up long enough and struggled to keep a good coal bed. This caused more temperature swings than I liked with dirty white smoke but I am getting better and learning more each time.

I have had no problems running my 20X42. I do not have to leave the door open during the cook only the first 20 min or so. I start off with a chimney of coals and add about 4 or 5 mini splits (about 7" splits) I buy wood from fruita wood because I live in socal and there is not many cherry wood sellers close by. After the pit is up to temp (my pit likes to run at 250-275) I will put my food in. I will add a split every 20 min or so. I build my fire on the left side of the box and can put 4-5 mini splits on the right side of the box to pre heat. When I throw a new split on I will wait about a minute for it to catch fire and shut the door. I run my stack wide open and my fire box is about 3/4 closed. The only time I will get dirty smoke is if a preheated log happens to get to hot and smolders. If I run a long cook and my coal bed starts to go away I will throw in another chimney of coals. My longest cook has been about 9 hours and I did not have any problems keeping my temps.

Back