Your opinion on this used Backwoods G2 Chubby?

11earl

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi Hive Mind,

I've been looking for a vertical to replace my 18" WSM and have been eyeing this G2 Chubby.

Do you think it's beyond repair or is it possible for me to bring it back to life? If the latter, what do you think it'll need, and is it worth the price difference between used and new?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
It really doesn't look bad at all to me. It's hard to tell from the pick what condition the coal tray is in, but you can always weld up a replacement in the future if it falls apart. I'd offer $400 but be happy with $450
Edit: A little sanding and paint and it should look much better

all repairable gasket kits can be found online. My FIL uses jb weld on his ash pan when holes appear :)

It really doesn't look bad at all to me. It's hard to tell from the pick what condition the coal tray is in, but you can always weld up a replacement in the future if it falls apart. I'd offer $400 but be happy with $450
Edit: A little sanding and paint and it should look much better

Thank you! I assume you mean sand and paint the exterior?

Looks like it could be cleaned up, but I'd check the bottom of the firebox, it looks like he's left a lot of ash in there that might rust out the bottom. Gasket can be purchased from Backwoods for about $45 and how to video is on their website.

Looks like it could be cleaned up, but I'd check the bottom of the firebox, it looks like he's left a lot of ash in there that might rust out the bottom. Gasket can be purchased from Backwoods for about $45 and how to video is on their website.

Got it, thanks. This is my first vertical smoker; I'm thinking some surface rust is OK, but make sure it's not anything beyond that?

Congrats and enjoy it. I had a G2 Chubby and Party and used them a ton. Great cookers. That's a pretty solid price considering they are about 4x that cost new.

Nice score. I don't own one, but have cooked on a Backwoods. Nice smokers. I'd be curious to know how you like it compared to your WSM for smoking.

Got it, thanks. This is my first vertical smoker; I'm thinking some surface rust is OK, but make sure it's not anything beyond that?

Excellent purchase - and yes, I meant sand and paint the exterior. Put a wire wheel on your angle grinder and it's clean as can be. If you don't have an angle grinder then just pick up a $20 el-cheapo from HF, it will strip that flaky paint quicker than anything.

Excellent purchase - and yes, I meant sand and paint the exterior. Put a wire wheel on your angle grinder and it's clean as can be. If you don't have an angle grinder then just pick up a $20 el-cheapo from HF, it will strip that flaky paint quicker than anything.

Thank you!

Can I just get a wire wheel and put it on my drill?

Or, could I just use this rust primer on most of the rusty surfaces then paint?

Thank you!

Can I just get a wire wheel and put it on my drill?

Or, could I just use this rust primer on most of the rusty surfaces then paint?

Yes a wire wheel will get it done, but the angle grinder will be a whole lot easier and faster. Harbor freight will be be your friend for this. Never used rust primer.

Yes a wire wheel will get it done, but the angle grinder will be a whole lot easier and faster. Harbor freight will be be your friend for this. Never used rust primer.
Agreed! An angle grinder is worth every penny. Even if metal fab is not your thing, and El cheapo angle grinder opens a lot of doors. And and El Expensivo DeWalt is even better. It's one of the most versatile and time saving tools I've ever purchased besides the Miller 220MP welder.

Welp, G2 Chubby is worse than I thought

Finally had some time to start cleaning and refirbing the used G2 I picked up a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately I did not realize, nor did the owner disclose, that half of one side and the back of the cooking chamber is completely rusted and rotted away - please see pic.

I assume it'll still smoke fine, just not the way it was designed to with the double back and side walls?

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpg
    IMG_3643.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 273
That's a really cruddy thing to see, but yeah I think it will still cook well enough. I'd wager that you will still be able to cook some amazing food on that smoker, but you'll likely need to rotate racks every so often. I'd bet that without that rear wall being intact you'll have hot spots rather than an even cooking temp on your grates.

I hope it works out.

Hot spots... well that's swell, hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.

Hot spots... well that's swell, hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.

I'm reading this response and have no idea whether or not it's 100% pure sarcasm. Either way good luck with the cooker. haha

I'm reading this response and have no idea whether or not it's 100% pure sarcasm. Either way good luck with the cooker. haha

Oh man, no sarcasm at all - I apologize if it came off that way! I'm totally bummed out, but am always appreciative of anyone who takes the time to answer my silly questions:rockon:

Hey there,

I was curious as to how its going with your used BWS? I just purchased a used Party G2 off facebook marketplace from a retired competition team. Lite Blue BBQ out of Woodburn, OR. It had definitely seen some use, but I'm really excited to break it in this weekend. Would love to know what you've learned so far, was it a good purchase for you? Did you decide to paint? How's the Q?!

Jesse

Back