let's see those new grill grate cooks

The main thing I learned was just to cook on them like a regular grate. I kept over cooking stuff since I always did reverse sear on the regular grate. Once I quit over thinking and did a normal steak cook I got back to perfect medium rare.

When you reverse sear do you have a free space without the grillgrates for the low part of the cook?

My concern is that the heat dissipation will transfer to the cool side of the kettle on a reverse sear. Maybe leave one section out to get steak to temp before searing on the grillgrates?

The orange and blue BBQ truck just dropped off my GrillGrates!!:clap2::clap2:

Other than one is slightly darker than the other and a few scratches and discolorations they seem to be in great shape. Hell, I wouldn't even complain about these if I paid full price.

There's a blemish on the rail corner but after a few steaks it won't be seen.
100-4171.jpg

100-4161.jpg

A scratch across the flat side, still not bothering me!
100-4165.jpg

100-4166.jpg

A few other minor blemishes on the edge
100-4169.jpg

Other than that they're in good shape.
100-4162.jpg

100-4172.jpg

When you reverse sear do you have a free space without the grillgrates for the low part of the cook?

My concern is that the heat dissipation will transfer to the cool side of the kettle on a reverse sear. Maybe leave one section out to get steak to temp before searing on the grillgrates?

That was mine too which is why I was cooking straight over the coals. I reverse sear on the grill grates with no issues so far.

well I never like to speak to value. cost is relative to each individual. what's worth it is up to you. I did pick up a set big enough to cover a 22 kettle for $50 (spatula included) on sale so in my case it was a value. I've always wanted to try them but not at over $100. I've had them in my cart several times and could never pull the trigger.

as to why there are a few potential benefits. the first thing I noticed was how even the IR thermometer showed temps. the entire surface of the grill grates was within 50° despite only being heated by the small firepot on the pit boss. this increased my usable sear space considerably. another benefit is reduced flare ups. I am not a fan of grill lines myself. they can be flipped upside down and used on the flat side if desired. this creates a kind of griddle surface for cooking. I dont know about cleaning but I assume it's just a matter of building a proper season and your good.

I've cooked hundreds, if not thousands of steaks on traditional grates. do I need grill grates to cook a steak? of course not. can they improve grill performance? of course

at the end of the day this is also my hobby. buying various gadgets is fun and keeps things fresh. I would definitely recommend them to anyone with a pellet cooker or gasser that needs more umph.
I think this my issue. The $$. Maybe they will go on sale again.

Supposedly FedUp has delivered my grates.
3 more hours of work.
Besides a good scrubbing, any thing else I need to do before I use them?

Supposedly FedUp has delivered my grates.
3 more hours of work.
Besides a good scrubbing, any thing else I need to do before I use them?

I spritz them with oil when they are nice and hot... right before putting the food on.

cook two. sear plate open.

sale ribeye. 50/50 carne crosta & santa maria is my goto for steak

playing with the new IR thermometer

had a smudge on the lens, looks like fuzzy filter.

finished steak

one of my all time favorite meals. ribeye with baked potato and asparagus, only thing missing is a cluster of crab legs.

grill grates are a winner

Got home and found them in the driveway.
Opened them up, very happy so far.
Definite color variation and one small ding.
Nothing that bothers me.
Wife is under the weather, so the first cook will wait till tomorrow. Sigh.

Thanks for the reply, rwalters!

grill grates are a winner

Awesome color!!!

Ninja, that last pic is the reason I bought the Grillgrates. I saw a video with a pic of filet and the caption was rare from bumper to bumper and that's what I see on your steak.

I bought cheap ribeyes today, game on tomorrow!!!

That steak looks like it belongs on a commercial for Golden Corral. Nice job.

I really like mine Great grill marks Helps to prevent flare ups Flipthem and you have a flat top for burgers

Perfect fit sitting on top of SOB firebox

Last edited:
Looking good! My grates should be here tomorrow night, panning on testing them out over the weekend.

Cold, raining and windy last night. Cooked the 2" thick chops in cast iron and then into the oven instead of using the grill grates, but I did pick up a package of New York strips from the scratch and dent section at Kroger, so those will be the inaugural cook tonight.

Back