Johnson Custom Smoker Firebox

SO42N8

Name or Nickame
Peter
I'm curious how easy/difficult it is to clean out the firebox after a cook. Any current or former owners of these RF cookers have any thoughts?

I really like the looks of both the Johnsons and LSGs (with a square firebox). It strikes me that the square firebox would be immensely easier to clean but if the pipe firebox on the Johnsons isn't too hard to get the ash out of without a shop vac, I am seriously considering it as my first offset.

Any thoughts?

I would get the smoker you want and figure out the best way to clean out the fire box afterwords. I don't think cleaning the round fire box will be much of an issue.

He is pretty responsive. You might send him an email asking if he has a ash tool as an accessory.

I had the "Ultimate Chargrill Trailer" which is Johnson's 24x60 trailer model with a grill and warmer over the firebox. To clean out the firebox I would just use a dust pan...took maybe 30 seconds? It's one of those things which was super easy so my mind barely even recorded it. I used that pit 5 days a week for my BBQ food truck business, but my food was very good and I quickly needed more cooking space.

Johnson makes some very good smokers which are extremely easy to use. His method of reverse flow is a bit different than what you'd see on a Lang or Shirley, and in my experience it worked very well.

Which model are you looking at? Mind you everything he does is custom, so you can pick a cookie-cutter model and have it modified, or have him design you something from scratch. Only thing I hated about his pit was the grease drain was too damned small...they need to be 1.5" or larger and the one he put on my pit was 3/4" I believe.

I really like those T-Pits!
What Johnson pit are ya looking at, out of curiosity?

-D

I was thinking about getting his patio model, either the rolling patio or the patio 360 which has a very interesting balanced pivot design. I'd have him put on the convex end caps instead of his new flat design. I just think it's more beautiful.

His designs in general are very innovative, which can be risky when you start talking about calculating things like smoke stack length and firebox/cooking chamber size ratios. However, I have never read a negative comment about how any of them draw so he seems to be nailing it. I also love the LSG 24x40 so the decision is a hard one.

The patio model has the pipe firebox where the door opening is a few inches above the bottom of the firebox. I worry the ash might be a little difficult to scoop out but it seems like not.

I was thinking about getting his patio model, either the rolling patio or the patio 360 which has a very interesting balanced pivot design. I'd have him put on the convex end caps instead of his new flat design. I just think it's more beautiful.

His designs in general are very innovative, which can be risky when you start talking about calculating things like smoke stack length and firebox/cooking chamber size ratios. However, I have never read a negative comment about how any of them draw so he seems to be nailing it. I also love the LSG 24x40 so the decision is a hard one.

The patio model has the pipe firebox where the door opening is a few inches above the bottom of the firebox. I worry the ash might be a little difficult to scoop out but it seems like not.

Well the claim is, he's a custom fabrication shop.

-D

I have a LSG with the square FB and it literally takes a few minutes to clean, I use what I call a ash rake, it gets 99%+ of the ash and I rake it into a galvanized tub. I wait till the next day once all the coals are completely cold. The bottom of my FB looks practically like it did when new.

Back