Most overated and underated cuts of beef

Maybe a dumb question, but do Denver steaks sell under another name?

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I've never seen them for sale around me(South Central PA).

So, almost all of them pick the Filet as the most over rated. OK.

Yeah, it's a bit expensive, but now that I'm comfortable with Sous Vide and a Cast Iron sear (on Grill or stove top) it is SOOOOOOOO easy to turn out a perfectly cooked Steak, and it's easy to scale for Company, it has overtaken Ribeyes for me. Season it in the bag for the SV, then baste it with butter & herbs in the CI and it has a TON of flavor.

Tritip & Picanha round out my Favorites these days.

Very interesting to read the opinions of these chefs. Thanks for the link.

Maybe a dumb question, but do Denver steaks sell under another name?

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I've never seen them for sale around me(South Central PA).

This:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210118-110610_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210118-110610_Chrome.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 319
I've been saying for decades that filet is overrated and I always get a reaction of disbelief. It's a vehicle for sauce, which isn't something I enjoy.

The unfortunate part for me is many of the underrated cuts they mention isn't readily available here. I've been in the South since 1987 and have never seen a Tri-tip in the wild. Very rare to find flat iron, bavette, or hanger. Around here most steaks are T-bone, strip, filet or ribeye and is why every steak I cook is ribeye.

I raise grass fed angus steers (no feed lot, gross). I love me a good ribeye, but the sirloin reigns supreme for steak. That is the deepest flavored steak on these guys and one will feed 4 (normal eating, with sides) adults, they are huge.

Underrated: heart, soup bones, oxtail, tongue, arm roast, and eye of round (best jerky or roast beef cut).

I raise grass fed angus steers (no feed lot, gross). I love me a good ribeye, but the sirloin reigns supreme for steak. That is the deepest flavored steak on these guys and one will feed 4 (normal eating, with sides) adults, they are huge.

Underrated: heart, soup bones, oxtail, tongue, arm roast, and eye of round (best jerky or roast beef cut).

I like these notes. I share the same opinion.

The unfortunate part for me is many of the underrated cuts they mention isn't readily available here.

I think they are just trying to be trendy or different personally. I buy flat iron steaks at Restaurant Depot and they are good, but nowhere near as good as a NY Strip for example in my opinion. Same with the hangar steak.

For me, the NY strip is my favorite steak and a prefer boneless instead of bone-in since it gets too rare near the bone.

Chris

I’d agree with a lot of that. Prime flat iron medium rare is amazing. I load up when creekstone has them on sale. I never eat a fillet but the wife does. We also love reverse seared tri tip medium rare. Hard to beat it with a little chimi churri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Never liked filet. I wouldn't put marrow bone into "cuts of beef" but I agree it's basically crack, spread it on some fresh hot bread, sprinkle a little salt and go for the ride.

Surprised no one mention the crescent (outer part of the rib eye). I think this is the absolute best piece of meat on the cow.

Agree with one of those chefs with the neck, I always use it in stew and chili (both beef and lamb neck) super tender and amazing.

I can't get any of their underrated cuts where I live. Used to be able to find flatirons a few years ago, but haven't seen one in a while. And the last time I did see one, it was just as expensive as a NY strip. It's pretty good, but it ain't NY strip good.

Most of the beef I eat now is, in order of how often I eat it, ground beef (burgers, meatloaf, lasagna, etc.), London broil cut from the top round, chuck roast, strip steak, brisket, T-bone/porterhouse, ribeye. Ribeye is my favorite, but I eat it least often because it's so expensive.

Interesting article with conflicting opinions on a few cuts, except wide-based agreement tenderloin is overrated. Grilled chunks and rotisseried whole at home many times. Not displeasurable but I usually got that feeling I overpaid for it. Why I don't order it cooked at restaurants.

To me, the best restaurant filet is done as carpaccio (raw). Use to be a few Italian places here that offered very good carpaccio served as an appetizer. Fairly inexpensive for the portion and delicious.

No restaurants serving carpaccio around here anymore. Nearby Korean BBQ place last offered it but removed since covid. Their take on carpaccio was awesome. Very slight sear and served with a sesame soy sauce, fresh wasabi, and some fresh veg.

These. Prime sirloin caps from Costco $6.99#. They’re fantastic.

Attachments

• 705F48E5-B64D-44ED-9C59-032E956798A5.jpg
    705F48E5-B64D-44ED-9C59-032E956798A5.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 178
Tenderloin may be over rated but the girls sure do like it.I like girls.Some of them are over rated too.I prefer Ribeye cap first,Strip second,and sirloin third.Kinda like beer.My most favorite is free cold beer,second is free beer.

Opinions are fine and of course freely allowed but tenderloin/filet is tasteless?
Must be buying low grade dog food tenderloins.

I enjoyed the article,specially the remarks of LeRoy & Lewis. Thanks for posting. I have a friend who almost refuses to eat any cut of steak other than Filet.

Sunday School lesson from long ago:
“You have to be strong enough in your own beliefs to listen patiently to the beliefs of others”

I've been saying for decades that filet is overrated and I always get a reaction of disbelief. It's a vehicle for sauce, which isn't something I enjoy.

I agree filet isn't one of my favorites and when I do have one I prefer it with some sort of sauce on it or a bacon wrap. I think the popularity of them is the tenderness and portion size.

Underrated to me is a NY steak. I think so much focus goes on ribeye that a good NY can be a sleeper.

Back