THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't have a recommendation, just some thoughts. I use to deep sea fish weekly and have grilled a lot of fish. I have used several different fish grill baskets and never found one that justified the effort of cleaning over a spatula. I use one every once in a while for grilling vegies, quite handy for that.

For purchasing one, size, in all three dimensions, drove my decision.

{edit} On reflection, there was one instance where the basket worked very well. I had some nice Yellowtail fillets. I also had a bunch (several pounds) of fresh rosemary which I soaked in a bucket of water. I layered about 1-1/2 inches of rosemary, the fillets, then an equal amount of rosemary and clamped it in the basket. It steamed and smoked the fillets very nicely, and obviously made flipping easy. I loved the result, but SWMBO declared she was not a fan of rosemary. So much for that. :sad:

Last edited:
If you are just concerned about sticking or stuff falling through the grates, you might like Frogmats.
https://www.frogmats.com/
I have a cheaper version and like them, but wish I had the Frogmats.
Those look interesting but the website says, "Not Recommended for use directly over Fire or Flames", which is exactly what I want to do.

Last edited:
There's the Lodge.
51U7yKiy9ZL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

It's a little wider.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J9QVQ7C/ref=psdc_289822_t3_B000WEIIOE

I cook trout and redfish regularly with grill grates. Oil the grates and the fish and make sure the grates are hot. Cook the fish 30 - 40% of the way and flip n finish. Works perfectly. The grill grate tongs get under the filet and allow for easy flipping without mangling the fillet. I have tried Weber’s grill baskets and they are a mess to use and clean. Flip the grates over for shrimp scallops and veggies.

Back