"Wood-Fired" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) Ends April 29th!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new Throwdown category is...

"Wood-Fired!"

KUDU%20Review%20Pics%2012_zps9jrjpkv5.jpg

As chosen by proxy for CakeM1x for winning the "Big Farking Sammich" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

Moose said:
"Wood-Fired: Smoke or grill anything of your choice, but the cooker you use, whether stick burner/offset, kettle, Santa Maria, pizza oven etc, MUST use wood splits or chunks as its primary fuel source. You must include at least one photo (Doesn't have to be your entry photo) showing the wood as primary fuel source during the cook"

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/12 through Monday 4/29.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 4/29.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Honest question - how are winners notified?

I've been on the forum for a while but only entered one throwdown. I tried to read the rules carefully before asking this, sorry if I overlooked the answer and thank you for the help!

I've been on the forum for a while but only entered one throwdown. I tried to read the rules carefully before asking this, sorry if I overlooked the answer and thank you for the help!

When the voting poll for a particular Throwdown closes, we announce the winner usually the same day, with instructions on how to redeem their prize and certificate. These announcements are stickied at the top of the forum until the next round of winners are announced. For example:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270987

If a winner fails to contact us per the instructions in the announcement thread, we send them a private message.

Hope this helps....

Last edited:
IN PROGRESS--> "Wood-Fired" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) Ends April 29th!

One of the TD mods will arrive at your house in the Official Brethren helicopter and present you with a certificate while being filmed by international paparazzi.

Either that or an private message/email.....

I forget which, since it’s been so long since I’ve won one

Would lump be considered wood chunks?

No, sorry, Ron. Must be wood chunks or splits as a starting point.

However, that doesn't mean you can't use lump or briquettes as a base from which to add splits or chunks. I do this all the time in my offset and kettles.

:thumb:

GAH!!! A month early. Just ordered a rec tec Wyldside that would have been perfect for this!

No, sorry, Ron. Must be wood chunks or splits as a starting point.

However, that doesn't mean you can't use lump or briquettes as a base from which to add splits or chunks. I do this all the time in my offset and kettles.

:thumb:

No need to be sorry :-D

But, I think this statement contradicts using lump or briquettes as a base, which is why I asked.

MUST use wood splits or chunks as its primary fuel source

Using lump or briquettes as a base would seem to me to be the primary fuel source. Or am I just overthinking this?

But, I think this statement contradicts using lump or briquettes as a base, which is why I asked.

Using lump or briquettes as a base would seem to me to be the primary fuel source. Or am I just overthinking this?

When I use the word "base", I mean using lump or briquettes as a starter for the wood splits or chunks.

Hope that helps...

I think I'll rub two sticks together to light my fire to be sure I don't get a dilly bar...:rolleyes:

Please accept the 1st pic as my official entry into the "Wood Fired" throwdown.
I carved some nice steaks off of a 22 pound rib roast that I just couldn't pass up at $4.97/lb. I smoked it at high temp till the internal temperature hit 120 degrees. After resting, it was perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_20190424_180653.jpg
    IMG_20190424_180653.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_20190424_160956.jpg
    IMG_20190424_160956.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20190424_171839.jpg
    IMG_20190424_171839.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 86
Back