Seared Fresh Tuna

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
As I posted earlier, my brother was out from Oklahoma last week. On Thursday he and my other brothers went fishing. My Boat needed some work so they took my other brothers boat. It's a very nice boat but a little smaller than mine so I volunteered to stay behind so as not to overload or over crowd it. They took off at 4:30 to go launch in San Diego. They ended up going 41 miles out and caught 2 Tuna and limits of Dorado. Dorado are one of the more colorful fish in the ocean but loose most of their color when they reach the boat. (They are also known as Mahi Mahi but in Mexico they are call Dorado)
Here are a few pics.

When they got back I took 1 Tuna and 1 Dorado and put them on ice. Nothing is better than fresh caught fish
After we got home I prepared to clean the fish. I started with the Tuna. (I’ll post the Dorado cleaning and cook separately) Normally they clean the fish at sea where you can throw the carcass overboard after you get the fillets. (Not only does it feed the other fish but your trashcan will never be the same after you put the fish carcass in it) Because they went out 41 miles they got back late so they brought back whole fish. So I started out by wheeling my big gasser over to hang over the grass. (I didn’t want the blood to be dripping on my patio) Brought out the cutting board and any knives that I thought I might need. (I sharpened them first as sharp knives are essential for this process)

Took the ice bags off the fish and the Tuna out of the ice chest.

If you don’t want to know how to cut the fillets off a Tuna then you can skip the next batch of photos.
Started by making the first cut starting just in back of the eyes and cut around the pectoral fin and then back towards the head in a lazy “V” shape.

Now cut along the dorsal fin all the way down to the tail.

Now cut back up the underside along the fins all the way to the first cut.

Now grab hold of the skin and pull it back all the way to the tail and cut it off.

Now cut along the blood line in the middle. (You can see it just to the right of the blade)

Now on the bottom.

If you cut deep enough along the dorsal fin the top fillet should be able to be pulled out by gently sliding your fingers along the dorsal fin and spine. (Deepen the cut if required)

I set this aside and cut out any residual bloodline that the first cut left.

Now I cut it in half so it will fit in a gallon zip-lock bag.

Now for the bottom fillet you repeat the above process. (The top one is much easier )

And now repeat this on the other side.
Now for the searing of the Tuna fillets. (I seared almost all of it as this is one of the best ways to preserve the meat for future use) I get all my ingredients and plates out and started heating up my C.I. griddle.

Once the C.I. griddle is smoking hot (heated 10 to 15 minutes) I spray the fillets with a light coating of OO. (Just enough to make the seasoning stick)

And then dredge them in some Seto Fumi Furikake rice seasoning.

This is available all almost any Asian market. (Note: I was running low on Seto Fumi Furikake so I mixed up what I had with some Salmon Furikake and some Wasabi Furikake. It was still very good)

And place them on the C.I. griddle for just 10 to 15 seconds per side.

After 10 to 15 seconds I flip to the next side.

And the next side

And it’s done.

I sear the ends now

And place it on my waiting clean plates.

Repeat until they are all done.

Once they all done I place them in the freezer to firm them up for cutting and freezing. I cut two for them for appetizers and froze the rest. Here it is with a dipping sauce of soy sauce and Sriracha. (4 to 1 or to taste)

Look at the nice color. (Yellow Fin isn’t as red as Blue Fin Tuna meat is)

Yum!

That was like watching the sports channel, it was flipping awesome. Thanks for the great post.

that's fantastic. i'd have had a hard time not cutting into one of those and eating it raw, on the boat.

Beautiful tasty fish. As much as I love beef steak...Seared fresh tuna may take top spot as a favorite.

We call Dorado Mahi-Mahi or Dolphin on the east coast. They are absolutely the most beautiful fish just as the break the water. Amazing color that fades almost immediately.

Now I'm itching to head out to the gulf stream...

I wouldn't have any problem imposing if I was your neighbor. That looks really good and I enjoyed the pics as well on how to dress it all out.

Love it. The trick to mahi limits is to hook the bull and leave him hooked and swimming close behind the boat (don't gaff him just yet), then the rest of the school just sticks around waiting to get caught..... :mrgreen:

You sure know how to do tuna since I havent forgotten your older tuna posts DH. This one tops them all for obvious reasons. Done exactly how I like it.:eusa_clap

Back