WSM incoming

Killa J

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Josh
I’ve seen people using these for years, but I always kinda considered them beginner smokers or low quality. After reading here (and a few other BBQ forums), as well as watching a bunch of YouTube videos, I’ve decided that I was completely wrong about that.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Hunsaker drum, but I decided that the WSM with a vortex basket would fit better for me. And I want to get in a few practice cooks before Thanksgiving. The Hunsaker drum would probably get finished and make it to me before Thanksgiving, but possibly only a week or few days ahead. No time for me to learn the cooker before smoking a turkey.

I ordered the 22” WSM, a vortex basket, a rib hanger, and wheels for it. And my existing rotisserie and pizza oven will fit.

Congrats. They are great little units. I really enjoy cooking on mine.

Wouldn't hurt to have both .... you're going to need the extra room soon enough ...

I strongly considered ordering an 85 gallon Hunsaker. But then I remembered that I wanted something smaller than what I currently use and came to my senses. My other smoker is too big for what I usually cook, so it takes way too much fuel for regular use.

You are going to really like it and perfect timing for the fatty contest. They run rock solid and not too bad to master. I run without water but put the bottom of a clay flower pot in the water bowl and wrap with foil. Still keeps great temp, much hotter (if wanted) and uses less fuel. One last thing, I am guessing you have been to the tvwb but, if not great place for WSM

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

I love that setup. The one advantage to the WSM is it can be disassembled easily for cleaning/moving.

I have used the Hunsaker vortex plates and the vortex baskets (they both work well).

Which hanging rack did you go with?

I love that setup. The one advantage to the WSM is it can be disassembled easily for cleaning/moving.

I have used the Hunsaker vortex plates and the vortex baskets (they both work well).

Which hanging rack did you go with?

I went with Hunsaker’s versarack. I think I’ll like that setup more than the rib hanger, as long as I don’t need to cook 20 racks at a time.

I went with Hunsaker’s versarack. I think I’ll like that setup more than the rib hanger, as long as I don’t need to cook 20 racks at a time.

That's a nice design. I still use the Gateway 55 Gallon hanger in my WSM, but the round one would be great if you were cooking for a crowd.

Weber first introduced the WSM in 1981.

That ........ is a long track record of successful barbecue.

I bought my 18" in 2002 and its still goin strong.

They are a great smokers.

At the beginning of the year I decided I wanted to upgrade my cheap offset smoker that I had been cooking on for over 20 years. But I wasn't sure if I wanted an upgraded offset, insulated vertical, or gravity fed. I enjoyed tending fire, but with the cheap offset, it was no longer fun. I quickly realized I would be ordering something from Texas to be built, and with that cost, I wanted to make sure I purchased the right smoker.

I decided to buy a WSM to see if I would be interested in something similar to an insulated vertical smoker. I never cooked BBQ on a "set it and forget it" type smoker. I also new that I would be able to easily sell it on craigslist. I had the same impression you did and was pleasantly surprised at what a great smoker the WSM is. I went with a 22" and no upgrades. Briskets, ribs, pulled pork, meatloaf, beef ribs, it cooks everything like a champ. I watched Harry Soo's setup video on YouTube and setup my charcoal the same way. I cook without water in the pan, and spritz once every 45 min so that I can feel like I'm doing something. Been cooking tasty Q all summer long. It's very easy to cook on and you won't regret it.

All that said, I realized I prefer a stick burner and put my money down on an LSG offset. While I can appreciate the set it and forget it style of cooking, I like tending to a fire too much. I was planning on selling the WSM, but I've been so impressed with it, I will likely hang on to it for when I need an unattended cook.

I had a similar setup witha Vortex basket in an 18" WSM w/hanger. I think the best chicken I ever made came out of that setup. Congrats!

Back