BBQ Guru on OTG/OTS...

PhilB

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
OK, first part here, if anyone cares (inquiring about NanoQ vs DigiQ, amongst others):

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122237

Now, sounds like DigiQ is what I want. I call Ontario Gas, mention I have a OTG (converted with the Cajun Bandit kit), wait on hold a while...

The gentleman mentioned some concerns about having to drill the OTG kettle, mainly:

1. This will void the warranty (no biggie here, who cares?)
  2. This will require a bi-metal hole saw or something similar. I used to be a professional mechanic and probably have $20k in tools. Another $100 or so for a nice hole saw kit doesn't scare me.
  3. Porcelain will most likely fly everywhere/chip off.

That last one is a little more worrisome. Now, my lid has some dings and scratches from where it has fallen a few times, and no biggie there. Has anyone drilled a Weber kettle with a hole that large (1")? If so, were there any problems?

I tried calling the BBQ Guru folks to ask them, but they are closed for the weekend already.

Cheers,

Don't know that I would drill the 7/8" hole in the Weber. But, I have heard others have drilled their Webers with success by putting masking or duct tape over the desired spot before drilling. Hope that helps.

Hey Phil!

I've been using step bits and the largest size I have is 1 3/8" and have used it to drill into an 18" kettle for a charcoal basket for a UDS or vent holes for drums and Smoker Joes.

IMG_3511.jpg

I don't think you'll need anything larger than a 7/8" hole to mount the Guru adapter to your OTG.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Standard-Weber{47}Weber-Smokey-Mountain-Adaptor-Mount.html

The Guru should dial in whatever temp you need for the Cajun Bandit, its something I'm meaning to do with my Performer.

I could use a bigger Unibit (stepped drill bit). My current one only goes to 3/4"...

Also, their instructions claim a 1" hole, but no biggie there. I'll double-check with the BBQ Guru folk when I call them on Monday.

Thanks,

I could use a bigger Unibit (stepped drill bit). My current one only goes to 3/4"...

Also, their instructions claim a 1" hole, but no biggie there. I'll double-check with the BBQ Guru folk when I call them on Monday.

Thanks,

3/4 will be fine. I drilled my first one to 1" with a hole saw, and it was darn close to being too big because the hole saws tend to egg out while cutting. The second time I used a step bit and drilled it to 7/8's I believe. I like that better. 3/4's will be fine.

As you both mentioned, BBQGuru also claimed no problem drilling the kettles. Not sure what the concern was, but it was also cheaper (with current exchange) to order directly from BBQ Guru than to get it from Ontario Gas.

Heck, even with the expensive shipping, the price for the kit and a probe tree is the same price Ontario Gas wanted for just the kit before shipping and taxes.

Gotta love the current exchange rate for us Canucks!

Back