The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Stay clear of the pellet tube. As much as i hate the quality of the tray i bought, the Tube is just way too much smoldering smoke at once. The tray is steady subtle smoke.

I have 2 tubes and a tray, and can't say I notice any difference in smoke, from any of them. I use them all, depending on how many hours of smoke I want.

I have 2 tubes and a tray, and can't say I notice any difference in smoke, from any of them. I use them all, depending on how many hours of smoke I want.

Yeah I used both and they both work great. The tube takes up way less space

Yeah I used both and they both work great. The tube takes up way less space

A significant benefit to the tube/tray is better control and resultant flexibility. I like beef heavy, chicken less and I hope to do one of those yard-long salmon with lighter smoke. With a tube you can dial it in with the same wood variety.

One of my 2" tubes is 24" long and I thought I might load it and start the char in the middle, create two burn fronts that work their way to the ends. I never tried it though, however it might be justified due to the pellet smoker process. Were it a true recycling convection process, a little smoke would go along way. Since my unit regularly exchanges 100% of the environment frequently a strong, steady volume of smoke may be better initially.

My next one might be a U instead of an O cross section. Fun to tinker.

Did some spares on the 1300. Had a nice tooth feel, pulled away from the bone with a slight bite.

20190320-143021.jpg

20190320-205828.jpg

20190320-210236.jpg

2019-03-21.jpg

2019-03-21-1.jpg

Last edited:
Guys I can’t get this smoker out of my head. I have visions of putting two of these on a trailer and having tons of cooking capacity. I wouldn’t even consider it if people would stop asking me to cook for large events lol. Had someone just ask me to cook for a 200+ person wedding. I can do it now but it’s hard having to use multiple smokers. I’m averaging 4 large cooks a year it seems. Makes me miss my 500 gallon offset and my GMG big pig rig I used to own.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-pellet-pro-vertical-cabinet-pellet-smoker/

Guys I can’t get this smoker out of my head. I have visions of putting two of these on a trailer and having tons of cooking capacity. I wouldn’t even consider it if people would stop asking me to cook for large events lol. Had someone just ask me to cook for a 200+ person wedding. I can do it now but it’s hard having to use multiple smokers. I’m averaging 4 large cooks a year it seems. Makes me miss my 500 gallon offset and my GMG big pig rig I used to own.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-pellet-pro-vertical-cabinet-pellet-smoker/
This is why i hoard smokers. Even though i stopped doing large cooks i will not get rid of my shirley. You just never know. The vertical makes more sense if space is an issue. I really do need to sell 3-4 cookers just so i can walk thru my garage though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is why i hoard smokers. Even though i stopped doing large cooks i will not get rid of my shirley. You just never know. The vertical makes more sense if space is an issue. I really do need to sell 3-4 cookers just so i can walk thru my garage though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I might end up getting a vertical pellet unit for those occasional cooks. My Mak will still be my go to every day smoker/grill and I still have my Weber when I want to play with fire. I’m not sure though. I hate spending money. Getting my Mak hurt the least though. Not an ounce of regret there.

With over 2300 sq inches of cooking space, that sure would be nice for large groups/catering. What about the idea of using the profit from the next gig or two to pay for the smoker. You’d essentially be working for it, not paying for it out of your own pocket :)
#thenyoucouldgiveusareviewandletmeknowifiNEEDone [emoji6]

So I fired up the MAK 2 star a few minutes ago, set to smoke and nothing was happening. There was some auger noise, but no fan. But I was not sure if the fan came on during the smoke setting at first. So after turning it off and on 3 times and tearing it down and checking the igniter and pot, I went to the fan and there was a pellet lodged in the blades. Could hardly see it, but was lodge in the holes and fan blade??? Don’t know how it got it there, but it shut it the thing down. Just putting it out there to check your fan and make sure no pellets are in the fan area. Got some Pork Spare Ribs going on. Little late, good thing it gets dark at 7:30 now LOL. Picks to follow. Using BPS Sweet Money on one and Heath Riles Honey rub on the other. Topping with original Blues Hog.

Last edited:
Question for the MAK owners with the Flame Zone. I see some of you who like it and others who like it but think charcoal is better for searing a steak. So, is it the lack of carmelization on the steak? The flavor of the steak? Both? I was just wondering.

Also, if you have the grill grates, can you turn them over (grill on the back side)? Will this give you a little more metal to carmelize? I was just wanting some opinions on this for flavor of the meat and why you like or kind of like the Flame Zone.

Thank you

Starting to notice that black soot on the fire pot cover and under the drip plate. Along with a lot of ash in the 1300. I think its due to a fairly large amount of pellet sawdust in the bags of pellets. I think the blower is pushing it threw the auger and igniting it, and shooting it out the fire pot.

From now on i am going to seive the pellets before i add them into the hopper.

Starting to notice that black soot on the fire pot cover and under the drip plate. Along with a lot of ash in the 1300. I think its due to a fairly large amount of pellet sawdust in the bags of pellets. I think the blower is pushing it threw the auger and igniting it, and shooting it out the fire pot.

From now on i am going to seive the pellets before i add them into the hopper.

Oh man, I hope it’s as easy as sifting the pellets. If after sifting, you continue to get the soot, I’d definitely reach out to Traeger. Pretty sure it’s been resolved, but I do know they had a big soot problem awhile back when the Timberlines were first released.

Back