Firebox to Cook Chamber Science

Khanz86

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

My first ever post on this forum. Lucky to be here among a multitude of people with years of experience. I am a pitmaster in Pakistan, i run a small take away joint by the name of black tie smokehouse. You guys can check it out on facebook. I recently started having smokers built as there is absolutely nothing available in Pakistan.

I will post some pictures shortly of the smoker i built. However, seems like there is a lot of science to it, that just attaching a firebox to the cook chamber. I know a lot of the work is patented and no one wants to share their secrets. I have scavenged through many forums and have found the cook chamber to smoke stack size and all of the other stuff which is pretty standard. What i am having trouble with is the opening from the cook chamber to the firebox, the draw that it can bring, grate utilization. Ive used tuning plates but it burns everything underneath. Ive gone through many youtube videos and some of them show the firebox coming inside the smoker by a few inches with a sear plate on top.

What i am trying to understand is how do i get good draft, with consistent temperatures across the smoker, Can someone please help me out, i will be forever grateful.

Welcome aboard!
Pic's will help us help you. Also some measurements of what you have now. Firebox size, your opening from fire box to cook chamber. Diameter and length/height of your smoke stack/exh. Location of your exh. Etc. Location of and how many tuning plates. Intake opening size and location.
From your post. I'm guessing all your smoke/heat is staying/being directed under your tuning plates then out the exh. A slight adjustment of your plates might be the only requirement. Don't know without more info.
Also are you fine with doing mods to your offset if required?
What size splits are you using. Do you use a water pan at the firebox end?

Welcome!

There certainly is a science to it.
However, the simplest way to create draft is to have a large exhaust stack and a limited amount of air on the intake side.

This will create a negative pressure through the cook chamber once you have a fire going.
This negative pressure is also known as draft.

I’d stick with a traditional flow (no tuning plates, exhaust stack opposite side of fire box, etc).

Your window from firebox to cook chamber should be just at grate level so the smoke/heat that is pulled is, gets pulled across your food

Back