Tri tip thank you

chargrill2369

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi i still consider myself to be new at smoking even though I have been doing it a couple years. Posted about cooking a tri tip a while back and finally did it today. Want to thank everyone for their tips and encouragement.

Made an injection out of bourbon and soy a little lemmon and some spices. Spg for a rub.Cooked on my uds low temp. Dialed in my pitmaster iq at 225ish. Cooked to 150. Took it off the uds and wrapped to let it rest while I made veggies. Used some maple lump and some Blackstone lump with some chunks of wood to give some smoke. Rembered to cut it right. Lost the grain a couple times but recovered quickly. Looks good taste good.

A big thank you to the group.

Attachments

• 20200530_183615.jpg
    20200530_183615.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 20200530_184246.jpg
    20200530_184246.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 20200530_184823.jpg
    20200530_184823.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 161
Looks good from here. Did you see the grain change direction and cut accordingly?

I found the grain and would cut slices for a few inches. I would take a piece out and check. Lost it a couple times and as the piece got smaller it was a bit more difficult overall went well.

I usually will take a picture of the tri tip with my cell phone before I cook it as I find it much easier to see the grain before it's cooked. Once cooked I lay it back on the cutting board oriented the same way when I snapped the picture that way I can refer to the picture for grain direction if needed.

I do a tri tip almost weekly. Have done them smoked...just don't care for them that way. Either indirect or direct on my PK is how I like them. Looks great though...

Today i heated up the leftovers and made a sandwich out of it. It was so good. Added a bit of bbq sauce to it. It was just like eating at the restaurant. I know there are brisket lovers out there but I think I prefer the tri tip. It was easier to make and right on the money for me in terms of flavor and required less effort. I am still going to cook brisket but its been down graded to special occasions.

Back