Suckling Pig Help/Suggestions

Look like a winner from here! Good thing you had family to come help devour that little piggy.

Sweet! Once I break-in my new offset my wife who happens to be Filipina has requested one of these. I might wanna hit you up for pointers. Looks tasty. Question why the foil on the snout and ears?

Sweet! Once I break-in my new offset my wife who happens to be Filipina has requested one of these. I might wanna hit you up for pointers. Looks tasty. Question why the foil on the snout and ears?

So they don't shrivel and burn up. Everyone wants a photogenic pig in their smoker so you have to keep them pretty!

Wyattf
Foiling the ears and snout is all about the presentation. The ears are really thin and lay flat against the skull. In order for them to standup and look like piggy ears they need some help: tin foil props them up and then they crisp and stay up. The snout tends to burn as well so covering it up keeps it looking good.

My only real "mistake" on this cook was wrapping the snout too tightly with the foil The foil stuck to the snout and we had quite a time getting it off without ruining the face. None of my grand kids cared so it all ended well.

They are still talking about it. If you want a conversation piece to entertain a family group, a suckling pig (or a whole pig) would certainly fit the bill. A whole pig (something > 100lbs) is another kettle of fish. I am happy I got the 41 pounder on the table looking delicious.

Back