A friend of mine has a little chicken joint, he wanted to step it up for his super bowl menu. After seeing my pbc in action he ordered one. Added “smoked brisket” to his super bowl menu. I told him I would help him with making some great brisket. So I’m asking here if he does 3-4 packers on his pbc will it hold up? Will the temp hold with so
much meat in there? What do u guys think, is this a bad idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the size of the briskets? 4 is pushing it regardless the size. Im thinking you can squeeze in 3. Also, you have to finish by wrapping it and hanging til done or in the oven at wrap until finish.

What's the size of the briskets? 4 is pushing it regardless the size. Im thinking you can squeeze in 3. Also, you have to finish by wrapping it and hanging til done or in the oven at wrap until finish.

I was thinking wrap in the oven. Assuming 13 lbs briskets.

I was thinking wrap in the oven. Assuming 13 lbs briskets.

Three are doable then but if strategically positioned imo you can get away even with four. It'll be tight but again I think it's doable. Pack a tight basket and be on top of it.

Three are doable then but if strategically positioned imo you can get away even with four. It'll be tight but again I think it's doable. Pack a tight basket and be on top of it.

Ok I took your advise and told my friend our limit will be 3 packers. I’m real nervous about the pbc holding the temp. I’m thinking of opening the air intake a little bit more, what do u think? Or should I just relax and let the pbc do its thing?

Ok I took your advise and told my friend our limit will be 3 packers. I’m real nervous about the pbc holding the temp. I’m thinking of opening the air intake a little bit more, what do u think? Or should I just relax and let the pbc do its thing?

3 is definitely safer. Keep en eye on it and you can open up the air intake a bit more. When you hang all three in there, naturally your temps will dip and it'll take time for temps to rise again so adjust the intake accordingly. I didn't have any temp gauges on my 2nd (enameled) PBC nor on the PBJ so I judge temp my touching the lid. By touching the lid I mean a quick tap and if I it's hot tothe touch then everything's all good. This is on a loaded PBC/J of course.

You should relax and let the PBC to it's thing and worse comes to worst finish in the oven. I doubt you will need to but just in case. By that time, if need be, you'll have all the awesome flavor induced.

Cornish Game Hens on the still battered PBJ

Haven't had time to get in touch with Noah or Amber to mend the damaged lid but Jr. is still kicking arse

1lb-ers

CgUyP2wh.jpg

In the Jr

D0bhSYmh.jpg

Ta3MXcVh.jpg

Rice and some green stuff

m5b8tKgh.jpg

Tender

n9SDnauh.jpg

Juicy

lt4Iy4uh.jpg

Excellent!! I'll be doing these again for sure

Guys.....I've seen a few posts recently about the thought or desire to adjust the vent cap (intake) in order to prevent lower temps. I wanted to remind you that increasing the temp in the PBC is very easy by cracking the lid. From just barely a crack for a small increase to opening it up about an inch or so for a pretty big increase, cracking the lid will get you a temp increase.
I only mention this because most of us bought the PBC to not have to adjust the intake on mosts cooks. So once you get yours set you can leave it alone. On the rare cooks you do that require a temp increase just crack the lid. Ok and if you need a lower temp, just get a magnet or glove or whatever and partially block the intake.

These are obviously just suggestions that, in my opinion, will help you keep your cook temps stable for your day to day PBC cooks. Obviously you can adjust whatever you see fit. After all it's your cooker!...:thumb:

Just a update on loading the pbc with 3 large packers. I called the pbc helpline, very nice ppl. She told me that 3 she thinks would be too much. Her main concern-was all the dripping fat, she was saying it might be too much and might smother the coals. She told me not to touch the intake, suggested I do 2 at a time. I told her at this point it’s too late already started trimming and dry brining. So she told just keep a eye on the temp if I see it dropping it’s probably because of the too much fat on the coals. Wish me luck!!

Edit: also she said there office was closed on the weekend (my cook will start tomorrow night) but if I had a grilling emergency (haha) I can call and leave a message and one of the owners would give me a call back.

I was thinking three might be too much for keeping the coals free from too many drippings, but you never know until you try.

Just need to pack a tight basket like Sako mentioned.

Good luck!

I still say you're going to be fine. Just have to keep an eye on it. That's all.

Surely three briskets can't be dripping more fat than three butts

gbM0ML7h.jpg

Chicken was dusted with Killer Hogs hot rub and it was out of the park. Small bird done in just over 90 minutes. Now the skewer worked fine but it was really close to the coals. There seemed to be an uneven cook from bottom to top and I'm really wishing I had bought the 10" skewers now. Biggest take away is I should have had the meat probe in the skewered roast to keep a better eye on it may have prevented the uneven cooks. Flavor was also incredible and I can't wait to make sandwiches for the week!

Attachments

• IMG_20180202_192359037.jpg
    IMG_20180202_192359037.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20180202_190901_283.jpg
    IMG_20180202_190901_283.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 182
Yeah...it should be fine but keeping an eye on it will be key.

I'll do butts all day long but i'm a little intimidated about two briskets at once, let alone three haha. The butt is just so forgiving, cheaper, and no real investment in prep time.

I get so pissed when I don't hit the sweet spot on a brisket, mainly because I hate the time it takes to trim it. Finally got a decent knife for Christmas though so it wasn't as painful last time.

WOT and let 'er rip. :-D Open up that intake.

The lid, like mentioned by Andrew is fine but as soon as you put it back temps stabilize again. You can't really crack the lid and let her go for extended amount of time becuase it'll burn the briskets. In comparison, opening up the intake a bit will aid greatly. My $.02 at least.

I’m loading up the PBC for the first time today (4 racks of back ribs and 4 half-chickens). Any rhyme or reason on what to hang where? Also, anybody ever done a plain salt and pepper prep on ribs? My mom is diabetic and I was trying to think of a way to keep the sugar down for her.

I’m loading up the PBC for the first time today (4 racks of back ribs and 4 half-chickens). Any rhyme or reason on what to hang where? Also, anybody ever done a plain salt and pepper prep on ribs? My mom is diabetic and I was trying to think of a way to keep the sugar down for her.

Maybe try banking the coals a little heavier on one side, and hang the ribs on the smaller side? I usually let the ribs go about 2 hours before adding the chicken.

I'd do racks on one bar, chix on the other. Just space them out evenly to allow for smooth airflow and that's it. I've done S&P ribs and even chicken and they come out fantastic. I'll be honest, I was more shocked on how good the chicken tasted with jus S&P. If you want extra flavor maybe onion, garlic, a little paprika for color but S&P does just fine. Good luck.

The bottom rack was S&P only

uw5VHyAh.png

wE7SGach.png

4AjTHqWh.png

S&P bottom rib

a9K22Z3h.png

S&P chicken

Z8ftoiKh.png

I'd do racks on one bar, chix on the other. Just space them out evenly to allow for smooth airflow and that's it. I've done S&P ribs and even chicken and they come out fantastic. I'll be honest, I was more shocked on how good the chicken tasted with jus S&P. If you want extra flavor maybe onion, garlic, a little paprika for color but S&P does just fine. Good luck.

The bottom rack was S&P only

uw5VHyAh.png

wE7SGach.png

4AjTHqWh.png

S&P bottom rib

a9K22Z3h.png

S&P chicken

Z8ftoiKh.png

Looks great! I went 2 parts pepper, 1 part salt, 1/2 part garlic and just a pinch of cloves.

Breezy day here, so I’m having to work to keep the temps up. I’ll load the chicken in 15 minutes or so. I imagine I’ll have to crack the lid to get the temps where they need to be,

Back