Auber Controller in a UDS

kwas68

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For Christmas, I chose to go with an Auber Pit Temp Controller.

It isn't apparent on how to hook up the flat flange to the round UDS. I figured I would make a hose interface similar to the Ique 110.

Connecting a hose to the drum took some ingenuity but the helpful hardware man at ACE:thumb: and I got it together. We put together a coupling and an adapter (see the pic) along with the hose barb fitting that came with the sump hose. Although it took 2 intermediate parts, we got the hose to connect to my 3/4" nipple.

Connecting the hose to the other end required a "G" job at work. I had a bent sheet metal plate made. The plate has threaded holes for the fan flange and 1/4" thru holes to mount it. The plate had a hole in it sized for a 1' pipe nipple. This pipe nipple fit the hose perfectly. I had a 1" pipe nipple tack-welded to the plate and filled in any gaps with silicone caulk. Painted it poorly and called it done.

I wanted to "hide" the fan from any bumps, spills, etc. I decided to put it under the shelf. Just in case, (suspenders WITH the belt) I have the fan shielded by an overturned plastic shoe storage bin. I figure that this will keep the fan safe in a downpour. It is open on the bottom for air to get in. From normal eye level, the bin can't be seen. I used 1/4" carriage bolts and wingnuts so that I can remove it easily.

I mounted the controller on my shelf's edge so I can monitor it from my patio door. If it were to rain, I'd put it in a storage container too.

Hope this might help somebody else out there or maybe spawn some new ideas. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Awesome. I found that Auber site about 2 years ago., Have not ordered any yet. Looking at a custom system for multiple stage cooking.

So, give us a review of how the Auber works on your UDS!

On my Bubba Keg, if I have the fan above the smoke source, I get smoke out of the fan when it's not running. I relocated it's protected position as low as possible. A UDS is also a tight cooker and you might have the same problem.

Speed,
No smoke coming out the fan. I know the Auber fan has a baffle that closes when the fan isn't running.

I've never seen smoke coming out of the UDS inlets and that is what the fan is hooked up to via the hose.

Nice setup!

I've never felt the need to hook up an ATC to my drums, because I cook direct on them.

Most people I see using fans on drums are cooking with a waterpan or claypot base. Are you cooking indirect with your Auber?

And what size fan are you using?

I cook indirect using a pizza stone as a diffuser.

I have the 10cfm fan.

I've never felt the need to hook up an ATC to my drums, because I cook direct on them.

I have a Pitmaster iQ. I don't think I ever felt the "need" to hook one up either. I just like having more toys to play with. :becky:

I'm not sure it has anything to do with direct or indirect. I think the indirect people just have a personality predisposition to making their drums more difficult. :becky: Or maybe you are the only one cooking indirect still. :p

It certainly does cut down on the learning curve of a drum though. I was just getting to the point where I had enough cooks to know where to set my valves for a 220*, 250* or 275* cook in either summer or winter when I got mine.

I have an Auber that I use on my Egg, you enjoy that. Nice set up!

Rather than start a new thread, I pulled this one up. I have had my Auber for a few months, and probably used it on my UDS 10-12 times. Worked great, I think it was a refinement to restrict my 1.5" inlet down to 3/4" for temps under 300. Well it started giveng me an EEEE error, would usually go away, but it cropped up during an extended cook too. So I contacted them, and they suggested having a look at the connection in the plug for the thermocouple. Checked that, connection inside the plug was good. They suggested jumping across the plug terminals with a paper clip, tried that, still EEEE. So they said to send it in for them to have a look at it.

Bill

Got an email reply from Auber today, I mailed it out to them last Tuesday.
Hello Bill,
We tested the controller. We could not reproduce the problem. But the controller does flashing EEEE when we knock the box. We are sending it back with a new board. It should solve the problem.
Best regards,
Suyi Liu
Auber Instruments
www.auberins.com
770-569-8420

Back