yellow tag meat question

oldgfbbq

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
G-man
Re Pork ribs....if sell-by date is Monday, and they are then frozen on Monday, how long for thawing, then cooking, and then consumed? What is a safe timeline? I'm familiar with "the nose knows", but what should my expectations be? they are still in original packaging

Thanks you all, what about post cook consumption? Eat same day and discard leftovers? Keep leftovers another day following cook? Or just follow the nose?

Eat them up...or freeze the cooked uneaten product. Re freezing is ok once they're cooked. just don't forget them in the refrigerator, like any other food... though how you can forget ribs is beyond me!, :-D

Freezing on or before the date - wipes the slate clean. I know I need 4 days for a good thaw, so I pull from the freezer on Tues/Wed for the weekend.
Weekend cook usually hangs around until trash day. (Wed night)

You worry too much. Cryovac gives you a longer time than the use by date.

And once you cook it, you've essentially put it back to day zero and treat just like any other cooked meat product.

Enjoy. Be happy.

Bill

Watch a few episodes of Bizzare Foods - you'll never worry about the 4 hour rule or best by/sell by dates again. Morocco episode was interesting. air dried meat outside in the sun for 48 hours. Sardinia episode he ate raw liver right out of the pig as it was still draining, and maggot cheese made from goats milk. (it's fly larvae)

Remember that while freezing will keep the food safe, the store wrap is not a vacuum seal and freezer burn is actually a larger
risk.

I wouldn't worry too much. I have froze meats a week past the sell by date, thawed said meat out a year later for a week, then cooked and was great. Going to parrot Smell test.

Thanks you all, what about post cook consumption? Eat same day and discard leftovers? Keep leftovers another day following cook? Or just follow the nose?

I am a "nose guy". That said, I cook my pork so there is no pink in the center. Chops, loins, tenderloins, pulled, etc. all get cooked until done.

I let them rest, then ziplock them when cool enough and stash in the fridge.

I keep sauces separate. I don't put BBQ sauce in a batch of pulled pork, then put it in the fridge. I will keep the pulled pork separate then have people add their own sauce on top if they want it. If I had Pulled Pork mixed with sauce (some joints around here do that to bring the price per lb down), then I only keep it one day and discard.

If it's slimy, has a smell, or anything else is "off" when I pull it from the fridge, it gets trashed, even if I was expecting another day for the leftovers.

Back