Want to try to cook goat!

Smoke Daddy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
JR
I absolutely LOVE goat in Indian and Jamaican dishes! Of course, I want to BBQ some! Just conquered a 60lb pig for the Super Bowl that was out of this world! Feeling pretty confident...but I am also humble. Want to learn before I spend the money on a local organic farm.

Has anyone done a whole goat?

• How did you prep it?
  • How did you season it?
  • How long did it take to cook? What temps?
  • Do you cook it until it falls off the bone?

Never did a whole goat. Can only get goat leg around here. Low & slow, 7-8 hours.

Well, I'm not a lot of help here. Lamb and Goat are different animals. Never cooked Goat in any way and after one or two experiences with it in Nepalese food, I'm very reluctant to try. I'll stick with Lamb because it's what I know.

As a guess I'll say this: Season all the funk out of it. Cook it longer than anything else you've done before.

I'm sure it can be good. Good luck.

Bill

Search for Cabrito recipes. Like lamb and mutton, young goats(kids) cook better and are more versatile than older animals.

Well, I'm not a lot of help here. Lamb and Goat are different animals. Never cooked Goat in any way and after one or two experiences with it in Nepalese food, I'm very reluctant to try. I'll stick with Lamb because it's what I know.

As a guess I'll say this: Season all the funk out of it. Cook it longer than anything else you've done before.

I'm sure it can be good. Good luck.

Bill
Completely off topic but I had to mention it. I work with a lot of Nepalese. One of my coworkers who has a few acres started raising goats and selling to them. They buy them as fast he can fatten them up. It's a lucrative side hustle.

I've been doing this for Greek Easter for 20 years. A couple of handfuls of salt on the inside also 15 cut up lemon and stud the outside with slivers of garlic. 3 hours on the top level setting, 2 hours on the medium level setting and 1 hour on the lowest level setting. Plenty of METAXA, start picking off samples once it gets to the medium level. I got my rotisserie from here http://www.xlmanufacturing.net/Rotisseries.asp

Attachments

• 20220424_151912.jpg
    20220424_151912.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 20230416_153710.jpg
    20230416_153710.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 182
May not be able to address your specific questions, but ...
I raised goats for over 15 years; some we sold for people to raise, others we sold for people to eat, and some we ate ourselves. We're downsizing so no longer in the breeding "business," but here is some advise.

I recommend getting a female or neutered male 8-12 months old. Some ethnic cultures prefer the older male goats, but most Americans would take one sniff and turn away.
We always butchered our goats into individual cuts, largest being a shoulder or leg/hindquarter, so no advice on whole goats. But they can take seasoning pretty well (Moroccan, Middle Eastern, etc) and are best prepared low and slow. BBQ/smoking works as long as you're careful about not letting it dry out. Better is a wet cooking method such as braising in a liquid, steaming in banana/papya leaves, cooking in an enclosed pit, etc. Some cuts (backstrap, butt steaks, etc) are best cooked hot/fast.

I've been doing this for Greek Easter for 20 years. A couple of handfuls of salt on the inside also 15 cut up lemon and stud the outside with slivers of garlic. 3 hours on the top level setting, 2 hours on the medium level setting and 1 hour on the lowest level setting. Plenty of METAXA, start picking off samples once it gets to the medium level. I got my rotisserie from here http://www.xlmanufacturing.net/Rotisseries.asp

Where ya been? Great to see you back again!

Where ya been? Great to see you back again!

Hey Andy!

We had a bad player here, I think he is gone. I look forward to posting more and meeting up on the the next get together in IL!!!

Thanks,
Greg

RD carry's whole goat.

Some Costco's do as well. I previously posted a picture of a lamb, under 35 Lbs. We Greeks would never buy a Lamb over 35 Lbs or a leg of Lamb over 4 Lbs, in our humble opinion over that weight it gets a little gamey. I just wanted to set the record straight on my previous post....

Never did a whole goat. Can only get goat leg around here. Low & slow, 7-8 hours.

Andy,

What ever you do or buy from(and its personal choice) lamb is 35 lbs or less anything heavier we pass. Mutton or lamb is fine for some and if your smoking it perhaps it doesn't matter. Although we do cook lamb over charcoal we always choose lamb.

As far as suppliers, you are not that far from Casey's or Mikes meat market, old school butchers, I give them my rotisserie spit squire and the affix it for me. Although as others have mentioned Costco is another good option, just keep it under 35 lbs for the carcass.

Thanks,
Greg

Restaurant Depot has goats.

CuZ58bv.jpg

My Grandfather cooked goat often and he could buy kid aka cabrito, which is a very young animal. It was brined/marinated in vinegar, water, salt, and Mexican spices for a few hours then grilled. I have some Greek friends that use a second generation rig like this. They have a "secret" Greek marinade of oil, vinegar, wine, onion, garlic and seasonings. This is a yearling lamb, but you get the idea.

StZW2x4.jpg

Years ago me and my brother did a goat every Memorial Day, mostly for my Uncle because he loved goat. We brined the whole goat in water, salt, lemon juice and vinegar for about 24 hours. We had an old junk stick burner smoker and we smoked the goat uncovered for 2 or 3 hours and then we would wrap in tin foil and finish until meat was mostly falling off the bone. It always turned out good. Usually the meat was pulled and barbecue sauce added and then just eat on buns.

Back