Cooking with Scouts

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Howdy all! I just wanted to share some of the cooks that we did this past weekend with our Scouts. I'm the Scoutmaster for Troop 615 in Ellicott City, Maryland. Each year, we participate in a event for all of the Webelos and Arrow of Light scouts in the area called Webelos-o-Ree. This year, there were ~ 700 Cubs and families plus another ~ 400 Boy Scouts and their families attending.

The event has Cubs and families go from station to station around the campgrounds throughout the day. Our Troop runs the cooking demonstration for the event. So, we cook!

We want to make things memorable for all the Scouts (visiting Cubs and the Scouts in our Troop), so we do what we can to make it memorable. Our first year Scouts make up a big part of the Pig Patrol: the boys responsible for cooking the whole hog.

They get up early and start with the prep:

Gotta get the pig out and ready to go!

Starting seasoning:

Getting the pig to the fire:

On the fire:

Also get the boys helping with the rest of the food prep-cooking: learning how to cook on the discada:

Potatoes on the skillet for breakfast:

My home for the weekend:

Getting the chickens onto the fire:

Cooking the pig, the chickens, and home made gyros at camp:

Home-made gyro cooker! Couple pieces of expanded steel separated by about the width of a briquette and curved to provide heat around the stack of (in this case, marinated beef/onion):

Pig, chickens seasoned with Sazon Todo en Uno Con Achiote.

used the China Box to cook the meat loaf:

Pig is done!

Boys ate well:

We entered the camp Iron Skillet competition. Ended up with a clean sweep: main course (Mile High Meat Loaf: meat loaf with bacon mashed potatoes topped with onion rings and gravy) and dessert (deep fried Little Debbies Boston Cream pies). OK, there were only two entries for the main course and one for dessert, but the food was still really good!

After a long day of cooking, it was really nice to end the evening with a fire.

Thanks for looking.

YIS,
Bruce

Looking amazing. Thanks for giving your time to help the Scouts. I love seeing youth doing a Whole Pig. Is that one cooker sponsored by Bud Light??? HAHA

Fantastic! That's something the scouts will remember for the rest of their lives. Great job! :cool::thumb:

Nice work there and thanks for sharing.

One of my favorite posts ever on BBQ Brethren. You and the boys should be very proud!!!

Bruce, what a great thing your doing! I remember my scout days and out scout master left a lasting impression on me through out life. You are helping to raise these young men up right. That's why I have faith in the future generations. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

How cool is this?! :-D

They will never forget this experience.......well done, Sir! :thumb::-D

Thanks Scott! Yeah, the Bud Light on the China Box wasn’t exactly Scout ideal. However, it was thrifty! That was a yard sale find by the sister of one of the Assistant Scoutmasters. I think it was $25!

Bruce

Back