BBQ Guru

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm wanting to invest in a BBQ Guru, but I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. How do teams run their guru at a contest where electricity is not available?

I want to buy a guru for competition, but we don't have a generator and the one contest we competed in last year did not have electricity available.

Thanks.

Last edited:
As a backup I have a portable Coleman Powermate Jumpstart (not sure of the exact name). You can get it at an auto supply store/camping store, online etc. for about $40-$50.

It's like this... http://www.savingsahead.com/P/1026/jumpstarter_coleman_pmj8660.html

Fred from BBQ Guru suggested this at the time I got mine.

I keep it in my back of my trailblazer as it also to be used as a portable car battery jumpstarter.

Are you going to use this on your WSM? I'd be interested to see how that works...

Jeff

You can get a 12-volt adapter from the Guru folks that has a cable where you can wire two 6-volt batteries (the big square ones use in lanterns) together. Or, you can use a 12-volt battery or jumper pack. Cost $12. The cig lighter attachment is also $12.

I just got mine in the mail yesterday but I don't compete at many events where there isn't power. Can't wait to use it.

The Guru doesn't draw very much current. You could probably run one on a 12 volt car battery for a whole contest without charging the battery.

I just got mine in the mail yesterday but I don't compete at many events where there isn't power. Can't wait to use it.

Jeff,

I know you have a large as part of your trailer. We found that it worked it's best with a charcoal basket and completely closing off the vent that is not used with the Guru. The vents are a little drafty and makes it difficult for the Guru to control the temp. All you need to do is have a plate a little larger than the vent opening made with a 1 3/8 hole in it. Take that plate and attach the Guru tube to it then bolt it to the Spicewine using the same holes that were used for the vent. The other vent should be covered completely by a metal plate. If you have any questions please PM me.

I started using a guru last year, oh yeah the sleep again. I use a Honda generator when I am at a contest with out power. Most have power I have only been to a couple that did not have power.

Thanks for the insight guys. Running it off a jumper pack might be the way to go. Thanks again.

I run my digiQ and 2 fans off a deep cycle marine battery. Powerpack wouldn't last an entire cook.

I know that a small power pack will not last the entire cook-off, the large ones will though. The deep cycle marine battery will too.

My powerpack ran my competitor and 2 fans for an entire cook, won't last that long with the digiQ. My guess is the digiQ's flashing display drains the powerpack down faster?

Hey Matt,
Just like the others, I used a power pack jumper set.
Only time i used it was at the Fire on Ice last year. Most contests have power.

You could borrow mine if you want.

Good luck, Ray.

as others have said, the jumper cable things that tie to lantern batteries are the way to go. i used to do it this way all the time, even at sites with good power, just to add to the piece of mind. the only down side is that 2 batteries, totaling about $15, lasts about 4 contests, and there's not an easy way to see if they are going bad or not.

Jeff,

I know you have a large as part of your trailer. We found that it worked it's best with a charcoal basket and completely closing off the vent that is not used with the Guru. The vents are a little drafty and makes it difficult for the Guru to control the temp. All you need to do is have a plate a little larger than the vent opening made with a 1 3/8 hole in it. Take that plate and attach the Guru tube to it then bolt it to the Spicewine using the same holes that were used for the vent. The other vent should be covered completely by a metal plate. If you have any questions please PM me.

Guy, I plan to drill a one inch hole pretty much in the middle between the two daisy wheels and seal off both daisy wheels. Will be looking into the best method to do that. I'm not big on the aluminum tape they suggest. Maybe a couple of pie pans modded to go over them? I need to work a bit to get the doors a bit tighter with the screw on the latch.

What type of charcoal backet do you use, Guy? And do you shut down one of the stacks on top? I was told maybe I'd need to do that. I'm thinking just leave both open a little less than I normally do.

One other question... seems the directions not only indicate not to use water in the water pan (which I understand) but also not to use sand either... just leave the pan empty. what way do you go with this?

Ray,

I appreciate the offer.:-D My in-laws just bought one of those jumper packs and I was thinking of getting one for my wifes van. Probably not a bad thing to have around. Thanks again.

Back