7.5 lb butt on PBC... Im scared

NickyDeuce

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Broke in my PBC with a halved chicken last night and it was fantastic (pics to come) The problem is, the wife came home with a bone in butt thats 7.5 lbs. Do I need to start cooking now (around 6:40am) to be eating by 8:00 pm? Also, I have heard that this is a big cut to do on the Pit Barrel and that I may have to move it to the oven... When?

Don't be scared.pork butt turns out terrific on pbc.
If you wrap once it gets to 160 like in the videos then should be done in plenty of time. I have done 9 pound butts and not wrapped that took about 10 hours to 203. Sometimes I finish in oven if time is concern.
Good luck. Should be a great cook

I have done 3 butts on my PBC all in the 6-9 pound range. 5-6 hours is the normal time for my PBC with for a full load of KBB. About 1/2 way through I crack the lid to let the coals get going again. Have found that drippings can put out part of the fire otherwise. I put a couple of fist size chunks of hickory in the fire basket.

I pull my butts at 165, wrap in foil and about half a beer then put back on PBC untill 185. Never had to put back on fire. Check to see if probe tender and if bone wiggles. Remove from PBC and put in cooler. Place towels around butt. 2 to 3 hours later the meat is still almost too hot to pull. Bone has always pulled right out clean with no meat.

I suggest using the rack. I had one butt ready to fall because it was so tender. My best lesson with butts on the PBC is to let the butt wait not your guests.

I have done 3 butts on my PBC all in the 6-9 pound range. 5-6 hours is the normal time for my PBC with for a full load of KBB. About 1/2 way through I crack the lid to let the coals get going again. Have found that drippings can put out part of the fire otherwise. I put a couple of fist size chunks of hickory in the fire basket.

I suggest using the rack. I had one butt ready to fall because it was so tender. My best lesson with butts on the PBC is to let the butt wait not your guests.

Thanks, im gonna pull around 160, foil, and throw on the rack till around 190. When i put in the cooler, do i leave it wrapped in foil, or just cover it with towels?

You have plenty of time! Just wrap as stated above. I actually cook about 275 in all my smokers and can get them done in about 8-10 hours. Leave it in the foil. Carryover will help add some tenderness. Then wrap in towel.

You have plenty of time! Just wrap as stated above. I actually cook about 275 in all my smokers and can get them done in about 8-10 hours. Leave it in the foil. Carryover will help add some tenderness. Then wrap in towel.

Agreed. I cook butts all the time in my PBC. Noah's video is worth watching if you haven't already.
Good luck and take pics!

No reason to fear a pork butt... I have cooked 45-60 lbs of briskets hanging in picking at one time... You should be done in 8-10 hrs.... Cook it now and put in cooler to finish.

I like cooking at 275, they get done a little faster no difference in taste and in crappy weather it is just better.

I just smoked a 8.75# butt this week in the mini. Coals ran out about the 7hr mark(middle of stall), so I wrapped it in foil and put in 250* oven to finish.
You shouldn't have any problem in a PBC.

Had my first experience with Butts on the PBC last weekend, did 2- 7 pounders and
ended up not putting enough fuel in and had to pull them and use the oven for the last hour.. Fantastic taste and better than the egg has ever been. Only tip would be to be sure you have a full basket of charcoal...

Thanks, im gonna pull around 160, foil, and throw on the rack till around 190. When i put in the cooler, do i leave it wrapped in foil, or just cover it with towels?

I don't think this was answered...

Once it is done (and don't go by temperature alone, go by feel. Look for either the bone to wiggle freely or your probe to go into the butt with little to no resistance in several spots.), take it our of the PBC and open the foil for a few minutes to stop carry over cooking and then close up the coil an put it into the cooler. It will hold for a few hours.

i don't think this was answered...

Once it is done (and don't go by temperature alone, go by feel. Look for either the bone to wiggle freely or your probe to go into the butt with little to no resistance in several spots.), take it our of the pbc and open the foil for a few minutes to stop carry over cooking and then close up the coil an put it into the cooler. It will hold for a few hours.

thank you!

Well, everybody's saying things will go fine......but up at the top left corner of the masthead on every page here it does say:

"FEAR THE PIG!"

think you'll be fine....all the guidelines you'll need are just above cooking, wraping & such....enjoy your dinner !!!!

10-11 lb butts on my little mini only take 7-8 hours..It's all good

275-300 no foil and no peeking... start to probe for tender @ 195 , then rest

I've just left the butt on the grate.. no foil .. no nuthin' took about 1hr/lb came out great.

I've hung butts til 160 then wrapped and also let it hang until probe tender. Comes out awesome either way but when hanging all the way you gotta remove it carefully so it don't fall.

Back