What to do with dry chicken?

Firerunner

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I love my wife. I really do. I even love the fact that she wants to learn to use my UDS. Those of you who are married will understand my current dilemma.

She did her first unassisted shot at chicken thighs and leg quarters this week while I was at work.

I love my wife.

But.

This stuff is dry. It's not throw-away dry, but it's certainly not moist or juicy.

I'm going to end up eating it, because I love my wife.

With that said, the purpose of cooking the chicken was to incorporate it into meals for the week. Any ideas on reheating techniques or recipes to give a little moisture back?

Anything with a sauce will help. Shred it really fine and use it in tacos or enchiladas, Brunswick stew, chili, etc.

Rewarm it with sauce in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time, with a rest in between. It works for me when I lose track of a dark meat cook, for leftovers.
Think of your fried chicken picnics. At most, it's warm, if not cold. Cold makes leftover chicken taste good.

Eat it, and tell her she did a great job!

Bring up brining on your next cook together.
My wife brines poultry before I throw it on the grill and it is always juicy even I am late getting it off the grill.

You may want to try a pressure cooker with chicken stock to get that chicken moist again?
Don’t laugh my wife made my first few brisket attempts edible with a pressure cooker and beef stock.

Chris

Bring up brining on your next cook together.
My wife brines poultry before I throw it on the grill and it is always juicy even I am late getting it off the grill.

I agree with Chris, brining is awesome.

Consider a trial run with Oakridge Game Changer Brine. Not only adds moisture but also adds a lot flavor. Sometimes I use 50% fruit juice or ginger ale in the brine.

Cornell Chicken which brines for 24 hours is also awesome.

I love my wife. I really do. I even love the fact that she wants to learn to use my UDS. Those of you who are married will understand my current dilemma.

She did her first unassisted shot at chicken thighs and leg quarters this week while I was at work.

I love my wife.

But.

This stuff is dry. It's not throw-away dry, but it's certainly not moist or juicy.

I'm going to end up eating it, because I love my wife.

With that said, the purpose of cooking the chicken was to incorporate it into meals for the week. Any ideas on reheating techniques or recipes to give a little moisture back?

Put sauce on it.

Here in Texas, we would cut the dry chicken into cubes or shred it, then sauté some diced yellow onions, garlic, and maybe even red bell peppers with real chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, diced canned tomatoes, and S&P. Add the dry-ass overcooked chicken along with a quart or so of chicken stock and simmer for 15 to 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Chipotle paste, adobo, and or other peppers optional. Garnish with rough cut cilantro and small diced onion.

Use for Tacos, Quesadillas, or Enchiladas. Will truly rescue any overcooked poultry!

You might try reheating it in a double boiler. The steam should put some moisture back into the meat.

Take it to work for lunch, accidentally leave in your hot vehicle. Throw away so you don't get sick and go get a sandwich from Wawa.

Or shred and make buffalo chicken dip

Back