Weber Performer to Smokehouse

Joe6Pack74

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
So a couple of months ago I bought a blue generation one Weber Performer grill for $60 at a garage sale. They were asking $90 but I offered 60 and they took it. It looked like they had grilled on it less than 10 times. They also garage kept it.

Attachments

• gen 1 performer.jpg
    gen 1 performer.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 316
So what I did was create a smoker to go upon my 22.5" grill. I used tongue and groove board to build it. It was built in layers.

Attachments

• smokehouse.jpg
    smokehouse.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 315
  • uncomplete-01.jpg
    uncomplete-01.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 316
  • uncomplete-04.jpg
    uncomplete-04.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 315
Made a smoke vent. Used a 3" hole saw and a 5/8" foster bit to make. Free handed it a bit and made a pointer. It has a 1/4" carriage bolt with 2 washers, spring and wingnut to make it work.

Attachments

• vent-00.jpg
    vent-00.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 308
  • vent-01.jpg
    vent-01.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 305
  • vent-02.jpg
    vent-02.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 305
Pig I cut on the scroll saw. Did not want to use any paint or stains. So I colored with a Propane torch. Will be doing a test smoke tomorrow.

Attachments

• pig.jpg
    pig.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 307
Have you discovered the tipping point yet, or you gonna wait and do it with a load of meat?
Ed

It is top heavy on the one side. That thing weighs about 40-60lbs. I don't usually move a smoker when I start smoking. I learned that the hard way from my regular Weber kettle that they can fall over when moving. Burgers and coals everywhere! Actually I am more worried about the plastic wheels breaking. :razz:

Nice looking work there.

Are you running a Vortex or deflector plate? Or, do you plan to run it like UDS?

So what do you plan to smoke in this little smokehouse? Interesting concept, but looks well executed!

Nice looking work there.

Are you running a Vortex or deflector plate? Or, do you plan to run it like UDS?

I plan on using a large terra cotta saucer as a deflector. It should be able to run like a UDS for hanging ribs. Also as a cold smoker with something like the A-MAZE-N pellet smoker. In my other kettle I used a charcoal basket in the ash pan and that worked well.

Last edited:
So what do you plan to smoke in this little smokehouse? Interesting concept, but looks well executed!

I plan to smoke a little bit of everything. Hang some ribs, pork butt, jerky but also some cold smoking. Smoked cheese is a favorite of mine.

Back