My First UDS built

Hook_Line_and_Sinker

is Blowin Smoke!
Got it assembled and greased up for seasoning

booger welded the ash pan ( OK I can't weld but it survived) and got the basket finalized. Then I greased her up with corn oil before I loaded up 10 lbs of Kingsford with 3 chunks of hickory.

it shot to 350 before I got it buttoned up and I have been trying to maintain 225 with some luck I get anywhere from 180 to 250 - I think I'm just making too big of adjustments. anyways its been going about 5 hours now and smelling great. I popped in a fatty about 30 min ago and will have a snack is a few hours

should I run it up in temp to finalize the seasoning ?

Attachments

• basket on ash pan.jpg
    basket on ash pan.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 133
  • loaded up for inital run.jpg
    loaded up for inital run.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 133
Nope, just leave it alone and let it run. Be very very patience with temp changes. They take some time to adjust to changes. You will figure it out with a few cooks. Sounds like you have it going just fine.

How bout a pic of the whole thing?
Cool to have a SoCal drumhead.
I start closing intakes when it hits 180 or so to avoid shooting up to high.
Bout all you can do is practice and eat then practice and eat.

Just your standard issue UDS for now , I'll finish up the paint after the time, and heat range, trials. i figure some of this factory paint may burn off on the high heat runs.

I have had a butt soaking in apple cider and a shot of cider vinegar for 2 days waiting for this fire up. I got it done too late to start the butt. I just drained it and rubbed it down with Snider's BBQ and will fire that in the morning.

Attachments

• UDS.jpg
    UDS.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 127
Looks like a winner and as others have said take your time when setting the temps they don't react quickly to small changes and can take in the range of 15 min to do so. Do NOT get the temps up too high or they will be a nasty job trying to get them back into range.

More pictures of everything please. :D

How bout a pic of the whole thing?
Cool to have a SoCal drumhead.
I start closing intakes when it hits 180 or so to avoid shooting up to high.
Bout all you can do is practice and eat then practice and eat.

Good advice, catch the temp on the way up or your gonna have problems! :rolleyes:

OK I was going to pop in a butt and let her rip this morning but I have an issue

THE FARKEN thing is still running 17 hours later on 10 lbs !!! its sitting at 218 and been there all night. I looked into the basket and its still looking mostly full, but again this is my first run and looking 4 feet down into a smoked filled can is new to me.

I guess out come the gloves and I'll need to change out the charcoal for the butt , theres no chance this will go 8 more hours is there ???

There is no need to change it. Drop some more lump and a few chunks in there and get ta smokin!! Welcome to the drum world of leasure.

Huston. We have a problem!

OK here are some pics; and some thoughts
  1. It maintained the temp better while i was sleeping
    • note to self :DON'T PLAY WITH THE VALVES
  2. I wasted charcoal time and nice smoke on an empty grate.
    • if I'm going to lite this thing I need to line up sacrificial meats
  3. Just how long could this thing go?
    • I should have finished bolting the ash pan to the basket and put that handle on
UDS's ROCK!!!

Attachments

• next morning drum.jpg
    next morning drum.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 98
  • next morning temps.jpg
    next morning temps.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 88
  • next morning inside.jpg
    next morning inside.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 88
  • morning basket side view.jpg
    morning basket side view.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 82
  • basket top view.jpg
    basket top view.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 84
  • out of the can.jpg
    out of the can.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 83
  • smoking basket.jpg
    smoking basket.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
OK good idea Dr KY

I dropped in @ 5 more lbs and and three sticks of hickory, then buttoned her back up. The temp is 300 now and I shut down the valve to just a crack.

What is the best temp can I drop the butt in at?

and its farken 100 degrees out here already - will the ambient temp cause issues ?

Attachments

• buttoned up.jpg
    buttoned up.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 80
  • dropping temp.jpg
    dropping temp.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 80
I got the butt on and I think I have the temp in check.

going to run off and get something to put in there for lunch

here's the butt, small trail run size, 4 lbs

Attachments

• first butt on.jpg
    first butt on.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 75
looks like you got it going on!! the biggest problem with a uds is that it gives you to much time to drink!!!!:icon_wink:icon_wink

Smoke on baby smoke on!!!!!!!!!!

With the amount of fuel in there it should run for the next two days.

OK I'm 3 hours in and the internal temp of the butt is 167 is this possible? I checked with 3 probes and different insta reads ?

These are fast

"
I dropped in @ 5 more lbs and and three sticks of hickory, then buttoned her back up. The temp is 300 now and I shut down the valve to just a crack."

at 300 it should not take very long!! i usually run around 225+-.

Last edited:
Back