Are Memphis Grills now junk or have we just had really bad luck?

One year update...

Like others we're still having problems. We've learned how to work around some of the issues though unexpected temp spikes (set to 225°f but it suddenly decides that 700° is better) and other random things (like shutting down mid-cook for no reason and not able to restart until it's gone through entire cool down mode) not so much.

At Memphis' request we installed a dedicated electrical circuit just for the Memphis. That made no difference other than to our finances.

On the WiFi front we did learn that the WiFi controller they are using is quite old, known to be problematic and apparently discontinued many years ago. Why they are still using it IDK. It will sometimes work with very old WiFi AP's and a few new ones when dumbed down. It will not work reliably with most new AP's.

We were starting to pull the trigger on returning the Memphis and getting a MAK 3-star when we were informed that Memphis have a new version (ITC3) that they're saying will function correctly and that we'd be getting one this past July. Then Aug. Then Sep. Now supposedly next week. Given all of the sourcing and shipping problems everyone is having I don't know that this is Memphis' fault.

I was waiting to update this until we got the new one but not sure when that will be at this point.

The new grill will be Chinese, unfortunately. You may be waiting for a container to get here. I am curious how well the new controller works.

I think I've worked through all the issues with mine. Replaced the controller (again), fans and RTD. Fixed some loose connections too and it's been doing well for the last 8-9 months. Only thing that's been happening is the GFCI trips occasionally, but I think it's a GFCI that's going bad. I also figured out that wireless won't work if more than one AP is broadcasting the SSID, but I didn't use it as much as I thought I would.

I'm a lot happier with it now than I was last year, but I don't think I should have had all the issues that I did. But I will give Memphis some credit - their customer service has been very good about getting replacement parts to me.

Memphis was a horrible match for my cooking techniques, but the Pro I had generally did everything it was supposed to and my WiFi worked after some headaches getting it initially setup. I don’t remember what router I had then or the specifics of the setup issues I saw anymore.

Memphis are beautiful grills and I was very saddened when the shipped production to China. While I personally didn’t like the US made one I owned, I had no hesitations selling it to someone else knowing it should be a reliable grill for them and never heard a peep from the buyer that it wasn’t. Memphis support was great, so I do hope they get you taken care of and am truly amazed at your patience.

This man Quincy is one patient and easygoing bloke.

-D

I can't imagine spending that kind of money only to have problems spanning two summers. I would probably be in jail if I wasn't given a full refund a year ago. No way I would have sunk more money in for a dedicated circuit after a year of headaches either. Memphis should fix his problems and still give him some sort of refund. They sound like a really garbage outfit.

Back