Workhorse Pits? Anyone own or smoke on one?

Sid Post

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Workhorsepits.com offsets

First, I'm not interested in the 'drama' that seems to pop up around this builder/owner and other parties making smokers around Lockhart/Austin.

I'm a bit torn between this and Evie Mae and something else. I don't want to get into a multi-year wait or settle for a lesser quality smoker. l want to be able to use one while healthy and young enough to enjoy it, unlike my Safari dream that went down the tubes with shoulder and back injuries from people who felt rear-ending me in Arizona was worth the risk to get to work ~30 seconds sooner, or not at all.

Primitive Pits seems to be well regarded by respected pitmasters who run commercial operations. Workhorse Pits is owned and run by the same person. So, I'm assuming it is a solid smoker choice for traditional flow non-cabinet offsets.

Who owns or has cooked on a Workhorse pit? Who has seen one in person? How does it compare to other ~$3K (1975 model versus other ~24"x~48" traditional offsets) patio smokers?

Best Regards,
Sid

p.s. And yes, I realize reverse flow (EM/Shirley) versus traditional flow differences

Last edited:
Sid,

I can't speak to Workhorse Pits, they seem to be a lower quality/price version of Primitive Pits. I have seen and had food from both a 500 Gallon and 1,000 Gallon Primitive Pit and it was terrific.

I live here in the land of Moberg, Austin Smoke Works, Mill Scale, etc. but still seeing Texas Pitmasters buying Primitive Pits for their relative value compared to the others. After seeing them in-person, I could be completely happy with a Primitive Pit, but I have nothing to compare to Workhorse having never seen a Workhorse Pit in-person. (And Primitive Pits will build you a 250 Gallon if 500 is too large)

The Primitive Pits 250-gallon on skids starts at $4970 with a late 2020 delivery date. From my previous research, the Austin/Lockhart 250-gallon options all seem to run $5K~$6K so, cheaper than some but without detailing feature differences, they seem to be about the same price overall. Now add shipping from Georgia versus shipping from 'across the street' and, I would assume some would be even cheaper than Primitive Pits 'landed' in Texas.

Workhorse specs look very good but, just like shopping for tractors, specs only tell you somewhere between 25% and 50% of the whole story. The initial spec'man'ship shows the firebox to be a bit longer than average (27") which I really like and, everything is 3/8ths steel so, another advantage over much of the competition.

I don't necessarily think it's a lower quality pit. Just a different concept, tank vs pipe. I haven't put my hands on one, that's just the impression I had.

Sid,

I can't speak to Workhorse Pits, they seem to be a lower quality/price version of Primitive Pits. I have seen and had food from both a 500 Gallon and 1,000 Gallon Primitive Pit and it was terrific.

I'm interested in workhorse as well but he says in the video that it's .3144 inch steel which is more like 5/16 than 3/8. Still way heavier than 1/4 inch.
Either way. I'm looking at getting a pit that size soon and workhorse is very high on my list.

Last edited:
I'm interested in workhorse as well but he says in the video that it's .3144 inch steel which is more like 5/16 than 3/8. Still way heavier than 1/4 inch.
Either way. I'm looking at getting a pit that size soon and workhorse is very high on my list.

I missed that YouTube but, I also could not get the videos to load yesterday either.

Regarding thickness:
Gauge 0 is 5/16ths or 0.3125" or 7.9375mm for flat steel. 0.3144 seems like a little bit of an odd specification for steel but, I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night either. :wink:

Popping this thread back up as I find the discussion very informative and the last post was November '19.
Does anyone else have additional info or newly acquired experience with brand or the company? I wonder about the airflow system. The stack details are obvious but is there baffle, plates, what??

Do another search. There are several threads and posts more recent than this with people who bought and received one. Overall, they seem to be well regarded but, don't have a vocal fan base of some other brands.

Personally, if I hadn't scored both a Shirley and later an Evie Mae, there is a high probability one would be at my place today.

Back