Need advice Building outdoor pit for my BBQ restaurant

pbryant22

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have enjoyed this page for over 10 years! Guys & Gals I am in desperate need of WISDOM. Please? I just rented a restaurant that has a tiny kitchen and no room for a BBQ cooking area. I have to take it out side. On top of that I am a paraplegic in a wheelchair so it makes it a little more difficult, but nothing I cant handle without your help! I am positing pics of the building, I am thinking I can very easily roll right out the back door and to my right its cement and easy roll to the side of building. I was thinking of either connecting the two walls with cement blocks and build another building, but that’s too costly with my budget and I think I need to scale back and maybe do a lean to or something different. I need room for 3 pig cooker or 2 maybe, and a smoker. Any advice I would greatly appreciate the help! Thx!

Attachments

• Poppys side 3.jpg
    Poppys side 3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 326
  • Poppys side 2.jpg
    Poppys side 2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 322
  • Poppy's Side 1.jpg
    Poppy's Side 1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 325
If you look on the ground you will see the grease trap is located here as well!

I dont see an issue with a lean to but I would fence it for security reasons. The smell will bring people from miles away...

As usual my $ is low so I need to build smart on this one. any built models can show me. Thx!

Insurance and codes may dictate most of your projected build.
I would pour a slab, set 4) or more vertical support beams, not attached to the building. Basic corrugated sheet metal roof and partial cover the sides. Anchor the smoker.

You need to take this to the property owner first since your renting, then the health & fire department before you spend a dime to see if they will permit that being built.

I have no advice but wanted to wish you good luck in this venture

Good luck on the new venture! I hope it works out for you

Trying to decide if I have to pour concrete or not? will I have to connect to grease trap? partial walls built, etc... I only have but so much to spend thats all on the inside.

I know the health codes have changed around here. They no longer allow the traditional "open" concrete block pits. We had a local place that had been in operation since 1928 and their pit had a fire and burned the screened in "summer house" over the block pit down. They could not rebuild it and the new pit had to meet all the current fire and health codes. The place could not afford it and they closed. So make sure you can build what you want (check with landlord, health inspections, and fire dept) before spending any money for sure.

I do wish you well in your efforts though.

There was a Pizza Hut nearby that went OOB few years ago. Someone took over the property and turned it into Sharks BBQ. Built an attached structure to cover the cookers out front (on the right in the 1st pic and foreground in the 2nd) and added some outdoor seating. Decent food.

Trying to decide if I have to pour concrete or not? will I have to connect to grease trap? partial walls built, etc... I only have but so much to spend thats all on the inside.

Good luck, but doesn’t matter what we think. Matters what the building codes and health department will allow. Call them first. Everything here is speculation.

Since you're renting I think you'd be better off buying a trailer and mounting your pig cookers to the trailer. This way you don't have to worry about pouring concrete or even think about dealing with construction permits. Holy crap the permits alone are going to destroy your timeline and budget.

Truth be told I would kind of look at what Sam Jones did for his trailer...I think it's 4 BQ Grills pig smokers mounted onto a trailer. You'll need some kind of a roof on the trailer though, both for food code and to allow you to easily cook in the rain.

Sam-Jones-BBQ-01.jpg

Good luck with your venture, but here in North Carolina the food code is insanely strict, even with the recently passed "Grill Bill" you've got to have a fully covered area with NSF cookers if you want to cook outside at all.

https://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2017/Bills/Senate/HTML/S24v2.html

Back