MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #1561
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

You ARE looking at that thread - it's THIS one! The last couple of pages. I'm searing on my gasser and am not interested. But then, I wasn't interested in a pooper either until these guys got hold of me!

Old 01-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #1562
DevilsGrill
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Doug

Heres a question for all the pellet guru's out there. Is there a finite time that your able to maintain temps on these grills and if so approx how many hours would that be?

Reason for asking is im new to this style of grill and have found during longer cooks (>8hrs) my temps tend to drop and the controller doesn't seem to do anything to rectify the situation. For example if I set the temp to 250 after a period of time the temp drops to around 180 and the controller remains in maintenance mode rather than ramping the temp back up. The only way for me to raise temps back up is to crank up the setpoint.

Could this be due to restricted airflow as ash begins to fill the firebox restricting airflow as id imagine there would be a point where ash would be severely affecting the amount of air available to the fire thereby dropping temps.

For reference im running a YS1500 and using BBQ's Delight Hickory pellets.
DevilsGrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #1563
Woody1911a1
Full Fledged Farker

ash should be cleared by the combustion fan regardless of time and when the temp drops , the controller should ramp it back up .

i'd be contacting yoder for a solution .
Woody1911a1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #1564
rwalters
Babbling Farker

^^^Agree^^^. Something is not right. Have done many many 12-18 hour cooks on my pellet cooker with zero issue.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #1565
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

So more experimenting with the flame zone. I knew I said I was going to use the grill grates but just 3 of them looked funny. I’m glad I didn’t use them!

So the ones on the bottom were cooked direct with 1 minute per side cast iron treatment. The ones on top went direct the entire time. The ones on top looked best imo

These were cooked at 450 deg. Flair up got my forearm hair by the way!

Last edited by BKING!; 03-31-2019 at 09:17 AM..
BKING! is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2019, 05:39 PM   #1566
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsGrill View Post
Heres a question for all the pellet guru's out there. Is there a finite time that your able to maintain temps on these grills and if so approx how many hours would that be?

Reason for asking is im new to this style of grill and have found during longer cooks (>8hrs) my temps tend to drop and the controller doesn't seem to do anything to rectify the situation. For example if I set the temp to 250 after a period of time the temp drops to around 180 and the controller remains in maintenance mode rather than ramping the temp back up. The only way for me to raise temps back up is to crank up the setpoint.

Could this be due to restricted airflow as ash begins to fill the firebox restricting airflow as id imagine there would be a point where ash would be severely affecting the amount of air available to the fire thereby dropping temps.

Sounds like something thinks the temp is 250. If it was seeing the correct temp it would increase airflow like it does when you raise the temp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #1567
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Sounds like something thinks the temp is 250. If it was seeing the correct temp it would increase airflow like it does when you raise the temp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That’s my thought. Sounds like a controller issue. Yoder would know best though.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #1568
Woody1911a1
Full Fledged Farker

you guys talking about using grill grates covering the entire grill
surface are going to regret it .

that can and will permently damage your grill . pellet grills/smokers rely on air circulation .
Woody1911a1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #1569
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
So more experimenting with the flame zone. I knew I said I was going to use the grill grates but just 3 of them looked funny. I’m glad I didn’t use them!

So the ones on the bottom were cooked direct with 1 minute per side cast iron treatment. The ones on top went direct the entire time. The ones on top looked best imo

These were cooked at 450 deg. Flair up got my forearm hair by the way!

Kind of hard to tell by the pics, was the cast-iron just way too hot for those burger patties?

Old 01-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #1570
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Kind of hard to tell by the pics, was the cast-iron just way too hot for those burger patties?
No. I started the ones on the bottom direct and at the end gave them cast iron treatment. The ones on top I just left on the grates and they finished shortly after the cast iron ones finished. I didn’t do cast iron start to finish.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #1571
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I have done many 20+ hour cooks on my YS640, and never experienced anything like that. I would agree that contacting Yoder, is the best way to go. I haven't needed it, but I hear they have great customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsGrill View Post

Joshw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #1572
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

I’m gonn a try a grilled garlic sriracha chicken stir fry tomorrow with the flame zone. Honestly I was pretty impressed by the burgers today and actually liked the ones that had no cast iron pan treatment at all best. So far it seems to do perfect on everything but steaks when just using the stainless grates. It does just fine with steaks though if I use the grill grates. The stainless ones are just easier to clean

Old 01-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #1573
tom b
Babbling Farker

All this speak about flame zone and grill grates got me thinking. I hardly ever grill on ours but I thought i would try the grill grates for some burgers. Grill temp at 480 grill grate didn't get above 375 not that I expected it to work but why not try. It also got me thinking that it would not be difficult to make a frame zone. Drill wholes or cut a square or circle in the difuser and cover it with a sheet metal or a pan when not grilling. Opinions?

Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #1574
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
All this speak about flame zone and grill grates got me thinking. I hardly ever grill on ours but I thought i would try the grill grates for some burgers. Grill temp at 480 grill grate didn't get above 375 not that I expected it to work but why not try. It also got me thinking that it would not be difficult to make a frame zone. Drill wholes or cut a square or circle in the difuser and cover it with a sheet metal or a pan when not grilling. Opinions?
Probably the best way to do it would be to get the smoke daddy searing station. I wouldn’t mess with your nice timberline’s diffuser.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #1575
Joshw
Babbling Farker

That is basically how the Yoders work, when you have the 2 piece diffuser plate. I personally would be afraid to alter anything on a pellet grill, that would affect air flow. They are designed for a specific amount of air flow, and changing it too much, could result in a hopper fire. It certainly could be done though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Joshw is online now   Reply With Quote