My turn for a craigslist score

I haven't spoke to Weber yet but i did look up my model in a replacement parts pdf and it seems the heat shield, even though its screwed in underneath the lid, is only listed as a complete assembly. Meaning you have to buy a whole new lid. I checked they ebay sellers listings and he doesn't appear to sell the heat shields.

I don't think anyone sells the heat shield. As you found out from Weber, it's not available from them as a separate part. Also, I don't think they sell the SS lids anymore that have those shields. The colored enamel lids don't have the shield and are available.

Your best bet is to find a donor grill either with a SS lid and heat shield in good condition, or switch to a colored lid. That, or find a local sheet metal shop to fabricate one for you.

FWIW, it's only real purpose is to prevent the SS of the lid from "bluing" due to heat.

On Monday I was driving home from an appointment and noticed a free Weber gas grill set out on the curb, it was one of the old models that had the sharp angled lid, but it looked like it was in pretty good shape @ 35 MPH. I got home, dropped off the kiddos and groceries then went back to check it out. Well wouldn't you know it, someone was just loading it up when I got back. Dang, missed my chance on a good curb score like I often see here.

Fast forward to today, my Craigslist search alert for Weber Genesis emails me as I'd casually been looking to get a good gasser without breaking the bank. This one was a Genesis I, so a generation old, but hadn't been used at all. I ended up taking it home with me for $250. While still not as sweet a deal as "free", I feel like finding a new Weber Genesis 3 burner grill for a couple hundred and change was still a good score. Even came with 2 sets of grates, one set steel bar and one set cast iron. Good thing I still have my rotisserie and cover from the Spirit 3 burner I briefly owned and impulse sold, I don't even have to go out and rebuy that stuff. :doh:

Probably do a quick lunch of some chicken wings tomorrow to break her in.

Nice score! One heck of a grill. The Achilles's hell of that model/generation is that the bottom pan of the cabinet tends to rust out and that can spread to the side panels as well. Unfortunately, the way the cart is designed and made, there is no lower frame to speak of. It's kind of like a unibody car. The folds in the metal of the side panels and the bottom pan ARE the structural support.

If you live in an area where rust could potentially be a problem, you'd do well to take some preventative steps to protect against it. Spray the lower cart down with a rust preventing clear coat and just keep an eye on it. If you catch rust early, it's easy to deal with. If you let it sneak up on you, then it can be a world of hurt.

WRT the Roti, I'd stick with the one on the kettle. Rotis were great on earlier gen Weber's with the e/w (side to side) burners, but doesn't work so well on later generations with the N/S (front to back) burners. It's why the Summit's had separate IR roti burners.

Good info, thanks. Still rust prone by keeping it under a cover when not used in your opinion? I suppose there's meat dripping and general humidity but figured that shouldnt be too big a factor.

Good info, thanks. Still rust prone by keeping it under a cover when not used in your opinion? I suppose there's meat dripping and general humidity but figured that shouldnt be too big a factor.

Kind of depends. The guess is that moisture gets trapped in the enclosed cart due to lack of air flow. Some grill covers will actually make the situation worse. Please don't take it the wrong way though. I"m not saying that it's like raw steel getting wet once and flash rusting. If it happens, it will take some time. But I've seen soooo many of closed cart Webers of that generation and the one before with rusted out pans. it even happened with the older 2005-2006 closed cart Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum models.

Here's a photo of a Platinum:

20170303_171350_zpsxyg8zwck.jpg

Here's an E310 from one gen before your's. (E/W burners)

28k2aoj.jpg

But, with a minimum amount of vigilance and effort, this is easily prevented.

Back