Hunsaker drum vs Pit Barrel PBX vs OKJ Bronco Pro

Killa J

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I’m in the market to replace my 22” WSM. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but I keep it at another spot to use when I’m not at home. I’m giving the reasons I don’t want another WSM because when I’ve asked on another forum, almost all of the replies were that I should get another one. There are 3 reasons I don’t want another WSM:

1) It’s annoying to move around. I put a wheel kit on it, but my cookers are stored to where I have to roll them across a decent sized yard. The tiny wheels make it a PITA to move.
2) I don’t get nearly the amount of cook time I see other people say they get. It cooks long enough for most things, but I can’t finish a brisket or pork butt without refueling or wrapping and putting in the oven.
3) I had an issue with Weber customer service that left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Not about the WSM, but a gas grill I used to have.

So I definitely want a drum or barrel. I have a Pit Barrel Jr, so I know how those run. I also eventually added a Hunsaker Vortex charcoal basket to the WSM, so I assume the Hunsaker drum will work similarly (but hopefully able to run longer cook times). I’ve never seen an OKJ Bronco, but they appear to be make of thicker metal and come with all of the extras I’d want. I’m curious if anyone here has or has used any combination of these 3 and can compare. The Hunsaker is the most expensive, the PBX the least expensive. I’d have to add wheels to the PBX, but there are heavy duty drum dollies that would work.

I owned a PBC for short time several years back, have owned several Hunsaker drums and now own a Hunsaker/clonesaker drum. I enjoy using the Hunsaker a lot more than the PBC I had. You have a high level of control over the temperature via the intake and exhaust adjustment, the floating lid hinge is handy, I like the center bottom air intake + Hunsaker basket combo, the adjustable grate system, etc. It's a much more versatile cooker IMO.

The OKJ Bronco looks nice as well, with lots of handy options, but taking money out of the equation my preference would still be the Hunsaker.

I think the original OKJ is a cool cooker at a price that makes it a good option for those that don't want to spend too much. I'm sure the OKJ Pro is nice, but once you get into that price range I would look at Hunsaker or Gateway because they seem to be a step up in quality.

That narrows it down to Hunsaker or PBC and that shouldn't be too tough of a decision due to the price difference. Hunsaker already has the wheel package, hinged lid, and other upgrades over the PBC. It just depends on if you believe those things are worth paying extra for. I bought a Hunsaker a couple years back and I don't regret it at all so Hunsaker would be my pick.

I have bought and sold a lot of smokers/grills over the years. The only one I really regret selling is the Hunsaker. I kept mine in my garage and moved it to the back patio with ease. It was fuel efficient and the temperature control was top notch. I would recommend a Hunsaker to anyone looking for a UDS.

Another vote for a Hunsaker. It is my go to charcoal smoker and does a great job cooking wonderful BBQ.

I have never owned a Hunsaker, but I believe they make a great smoker. I do have a Bronco Original and like it but find the grate a little small for large briskets. I solved that by buying the Bronco Pro. I do recommend them and do not see how you could be disappointed with a Bronco. I added the extra side shelf on both which is a really handy option.

Back