Brisket Membrane

Vince RnQ

is Blowin Smoke!
I've been noticing lately that many of the briskets I've purchased have a membrane over the fat cap. While I find it tedious to have to "peel" this layer off I have always found a decent layer of fat underneath. The packer I just finished trimming however did not have much fat under that membrane so I'm left with far less than the 1/4" I like to see.

It is only recently that I've been seeing briskets with this membrane and I'm wondering if anyone else has been encountering the same thing lately.

I've never seen a membrane over the fat cap... got any pics?

James.

I have never seen a membrane. Maybe it is a piece of the cryovac or maybe the brisket has been around a while?

I have never seen any membrane on brisket either. BTW Vince did you go to cattle call and introduce yourself yet? I couldn't find it, Welcome to the Brethren.

In the Weber charcoal grilling cookbook on page 238 Jim Minion mentions removing the membrane, but I thought he was talking about the little spots of silver on the meat side.

I know it sounds odd and I don't have any pictures to show at present but I'll be sure to take some the next time I see it. I think it is best described as a "membrane" but it may actually be just a very dense yet thin & tough layer of fat. It is most easily removed by peeling up a corner and then running the tip of a boning knife at the interface between the layer and the softer fat underneath in a fashion similar to how one might remove the kernel.

Cajun, I believe you're right that the likely membrane that Jim Minion is talking about is the silver skin that is on the lean side of the flat. I remove that too.

Again, I'll be sure to take pics next time and post them here.

Are we sure we're talking brisket?
Let's see...it has a point, a flat, a fat cap, takes what seems like forever to cook, tastes awesome when its finally done...yup, we're talking brisket.

As I said, I know it sounds odd but it is more like a membrane than anything else. I can't imagine that it would render off during cooking considering how tough it is put a knife through it.

Nothing that I have noticed. Be sure and post a pic the next time you run up on one.

i believe vision is referring to the silver skin that is on most packer briskets. and yes I try to remove as much as possible without killing myself.

Nope, I'm not talking about the silver skin which is on the lean side of the flat. I'm talking about a very dense yet thin layer of fat that covers the fat cap on some briskets and is very similar to membrane you might find on ribs.

I can't begin to tell you how many briskets I've cooked and never seen what you are talking about.
I do know that my briskets are deckel off, whatever that means.
Might be it, I don't know.

A quick search on Google shows that "brisket-deckel-off" is another term for just the brisket flat without the upper section which would be the "deckel".

I've never seen a membrane on a brisket either, but I know there's always a first time for everything . . .

Funny, today is the first I'd ever heard of this - and this thread is the second reference to the brisket membrane I've discussed/read today.

I trimmed up a brisket today for my buckboard brisket and it had something similar. And I have seen it on other briskets.

I would not go to too much trouble taking it off. It renders down.

It's not silver skin, more like gristle

Eureka!!! So you know what I'm talking about!!!

I've always been hesitant to leave it in place simply because is seems to be impermeable and I didn't figure it to be good eats. (Lord, I apologize for the lame cooking show reference and be with the starving Pygmies down there in New Guinea, Amen.)

Back