WSM First Cook

jstevens9880

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I do some comps, but I do not have access to the smoker we use at the comps. I practice on a cheap offset smoker at home. Unfortunately when I do my practices it doesn't carry-over too well to the smoker we use at the comps.

So I broke down and bought a WSM 22. I found it for about $380, no taxes and free shipping. I figured it was one of the better deals that I have found and jumped on it. The plan is to take it with me to the comps so my testing data can be directly applied in the comps without any adjustments for the different smoker.

We were having a party for my daughter's 22nd and my father-in-law's 80th birthdays and my father-in-law requested that I BBQ. I got the WSM the week before the party and decided to put it to use and get a practice in to boot.

I bought a brisket at Restaurant Depot. I prepped and started cooking it the night before. I filled the WSM water bowl with water and loaded it up with charcoal, a few chunks of pecan, and few chunks of cherry. The WSM got to temp pretty quickly and it stayed just below 250 for about 5 hours before I had to add some more fuel. Then it went back up to just under 250 and pretty much stayed there the rest of the time.

I cooked the brisket to about 190 when I started testing it for tenderness. It came off pretty soon after that. Probably about 12 hours total. We went to the local lake to enjoy the weather and the BBQ. The brisket came out very good. Nice and tender. Good taste.

I was going to ask about the WSM maintaining the temp like it did, but have seen in a recent thread here that it will do that the first few times then it settles down afterwards.

I'm going to try to post some pics.

Attachments

• TrimmedFatCap.jpg
    TrimmedFatCap.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 45
  • LeanSide.jpg
    LeanSide.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 45
  • LeanRubbed.jpg
    LeanRubbed.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 45
  • FatCapRubbed.jpg