My Workhorse Pits 1969

Good question. Before I got the 1969 and all I had to go on was YouTube I thought my firebox exterior would go above 600°F and anything on there except stove paint was pointless. Now that I see that it stays much cooler I have no idea. Guessing north of 450°F.

did you take a temp underneath the coal bed (on the outside of course)?? was thinkin if it were to get hot anywhere it would be especially there since the steel is in contact with the coals

did you take a temp underneath the coal bed (on the outside of course)?? was thinkin if it were to get hot anywhere it would be especially there since the steel is in contact with the coals

Yes. I took temps all over the underside as well as on the end cap below where the firebox connects to the cook chamber. Nothing over 380°F anywhere.

Of course I was running a 275°F-ish cook the whole time. No doubt things would be much hotter on the outside of the firebox if I tried running the cook chamber up to, say, 350°F. I won't though because that's not the kind of cook I intend for this pit.

Yes. I took temps all over the underside as well as on the end cap below where the firebox connects to the cook chamber. Nothing over 380°F anywhere.

Of course I was running a 275°F-ish cook the whole time. No doubt things would be much hotter on the outside of the firebox if I tried running the cook chamber up to, say, 350°F. I won't though because that's not the kind of cook I intend for this pit.

nice

Back