Texas BBQ Brethren Bash Discussion Post.

Hotch

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Well what can I say, I like to start planning the Texas Bash early!

I was talking with Paul and a few other Brethren about the upcoming 2023 Fall Bash, 2024 Spring Bash and Happy Hapgood's Bash on the Bayou.

For me, I'd like to see/have more of a "Small Cooker" Bash. Like UDS, drums, Weber Kettles, Pellet cookers, Red Box, Disc, stir fry, WSMs, PK grill types, Smokey Joe's, Griddles, Acorns, Small or medium ceramic cookers and maybe a deep fryer. What ever type of cooker is say more portable or travels lightly.

This would hopefully bring more Brethren and their family out to a Bash along with their smoker/grill/cooker of choice with them. Then cook what they like to do at their house. We all cook a verity of stuff at home. I'm talking about maybe steak, smoked chicken, smoked turkey, sliders, hot dogs, brats, sausage, cheese steaks, breakfast items, smoked casseroles, meat pies, desserts, fruits and veggies and such. It doesn't have to be fancy.
And it's not like we are cooking a full meal for everyone. We mostly are cooking small bite stuff that come off the cookers throughout the day. Just an easy day at the Bash!

I went back and looked at pics from some of the past 17 Texas Bashes.

11-2-2013 Johnson Creek Lake Ray Roberts
4-12-2014 Isle du Bois Lake Ray Roberts
5-30-2015 Peeps House
4-16-2016 Isle du Bois Lake Ray Roberts
11-19-2016 Overlook Pavilion at Lake Belton
4-22-2017 Isle du Bois Lake Ray Roberts
11-11-2017 Overlook Pavilion at Lake Belton
3-24-2018 Isle du Bois Lake Ray Roberts
10-27-2018 Overlook Pavilion at Lake Belton
3-16-2019 Isle du Bois Lake Ray Roberts
10-26-2019 Overlook Pavilion at Lake Belton
3-21-2020 CANCELED COVID! Isle du Bois Lake Ray Roberts Closed!!
10-24-2020 Overlook Pavilion at Lake Belton
4-24-2021 Isle du Bois Lake Ray Roberts
10-23-2021 Overlook Pavilion at Lake Belton
4-9-2022 Isle du Bois Lake Ray Roberts
10-1-2022 Overlook Pavilion at Lake Belton
4-3-2023 Isle du Bois Lake Ray Roberts

There are many different types of smokers/grills/cookers other then a big stick burner and I would enjoy seeing and learning how to manage the fire and cook on them.
Really isn't the Bash all about meeting new and seeing old Brethren along with their family and friends plus learning new ways and things to BBQ, Grill, Smoke and Cook?

Please post your thoughts! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I'm all about anyone cooking their specialties or things you normally wouldn't get in your home area. The main reason I like coming to the Texas bashes is that I love Texas BBQ, and and to see old friends and meet new ones, of course. I think those ideas you laid out Hotch are pretty good and I can't see anything wrong with any of them.

I'm all about anyone cooking their specialties or things you normally wouldn't get in your home area. The main reason I like coming to the Texas bashes is that I love Texas BBQ, and and to see old friends and meet new ones, of course. I think those ideas you laid out Hotch are pretty good and I can't see anything wrong with any of them.

One other reason is that both of the Texas Bash locations have a great big pavilion!! With people bringing their small or portable style of smoker/grill/cooker we can get back to cooking under or next to and enjoying the pavilion. Also helps with having the picnic tables under roof for family and friends to be in the shade and or out of the rain if it were to happen.

I'm all about trying to make for a great experience for those who come to the Texas BBQ Brethren Bash. :mrgreen:

Like Friday Nites at the drag strip in the 90’s - Run what ya Brung…….

We’ve had all types of cookers at Bash(s) - I’ve used at least 4 different cookers over the years.
I only have BoomShuckaLucka, the Gravity Fed and a Pellet Pooper Now…….
If anyone wants to Gift me a Bronco Joe - I’ll bring it……… :heh:

Like Friday Nites at the drag strip in the 90’s - Run what ya Brung…….

We’ve had all types of cookers at Bash(s) - I’ve used at least 4 different cookers over the years.
I only have BoomShuckaLucka, the Gravity Fed and a Pellet Pooper Now…….
If anyone wants to Gift me a Bronco Joe - I’ll bring it……… :heh:

I'm betting between now and the Bash a few more cookers will travel in and out of your place!! :clap2::thumb::pop2::rockon:

I will probably bring a WSM and/or a Weber Kettle.

Just signed up as a maybe. Hope to be there. Smaller cookers will be easier since my patio smoker is not a trailer model and weighs 850#. Great Idea! Hope it works out.

Just signed up as a maybe. Hope to be there. Smaller cookers will be easier since my patio smoker is not a trailer model and weighs 850#. Great Idea! Hope it works out.

Great, thanks!
Check back on the "Planning" thread in the Brethren Bashes for more info as that's where I will be posting.
Hope to see you and a few more from the Great State of Oklahoma!!

Sorry guys, I won't be able to attend the Fall Bash this year.
I have a surgery scheduled for September 29th with 3-6 weeks of recovery.

Paul will keep you guys updated on the Bash as he is still waiting on the Park Rangers to respond to his request for the dates.
Be sure to let him know if you are planning to attend. :mrgreen:

Hotch, so sorry to hear this. Praying you have a speedy recovery.

Back