Old Country Pit Smokehouse or Overunder

KDJ87

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I’m new here and hope I’m going about this the right way. A little background. I’ve been playing around with smoking for about four years. I started with little aluminum foil packets of wood chips on a cheap gas grill, then tried a cheap charcoal grill. Both were ok I guess. Then I got a cheap gas vertical smoker. I eventually got rid of it and have been making due with a char griller. So I’m finally getting over my super cheap phase and wanting to move up a little. I’m also wanting something I can experiment with to see whether I like all wood vs charcoal +wood. I’ve seen and heard good things on here both about the Smokehouse and Over Under from Old Country Pits, but haven’t seen a comparison between the two. Has anyone had or used both?

My questions are mainly centered around differences in fuel consumption, ease or difficulty to control temp while burning a clean fire, and differences in cooking capacity (family of 5, and while my wife takes it easy, my 3 kids and I EAT).

My apologies for writing a novel.

I would take the smokehouse -but I like verticals . I know several guys who had over and under and they loved it. Both are easy to run once you get the basics of a stick burner down. I had a Smokehouse but it was not the store model- Mine was 3/16” 20x20 - Store model is 14 gauge 24 x 20.

Both are designed to run mainly on wood only. If you’re wanting a set and forget charcoal and wood chunk experience you should be going another way. Vertical cabinet or gravity feed, or drum.

Both are designed to run mainly on wood only. If you’re wanting a set and forget charcoal and wood chunk experience you should be going another way. Vertical cabinet or gravity feed, or drum.

I see what you mean. While I would love the idea of set it and forget it. I don’t think it’s within my budget while also keeping the capacity I want. I’m trying to stay below $800. Everything I’ve used in the past has required constant babysitting every 20-40 minutes so I’m not opposed to tending to it. My wanting to experiment with charcoal vs wood is more of a matter of taste. I’ve heard some people say they actually prefer charcoal and wood over all wood.

I could always build a drum smoker later to try that out I guess.

I would take the smokehouse -but I like verticals . I know several guys who had over and under and they loved it. Both are easy to run once you get the basics of a stick burner down. I had a Smokehouse but it was not the store model- Mine was 3/16” 20x20 - Store model is 14 gauge 24 x 20.

For your smokehouse, how often did you have to add wood? Also I’ve been reading a lot about modding the firebox for both the smokehouse and the over and under. Did you do that also?

You could get a Pit Barrel for $300. It would be a step up from what you are using now and people don't seem to regret getting those little jokers.

I owned an Over/Under and loved it. I got rid of it because I needed something easier to transport for comps. I didn't want to sell it, but the wife has something against numerous smokers. It performed very well and I can vouch for it being a good purchase. You will probably feed most stick burners a split every 30-60 minutes, depending on how hot you cook.

For your smokehouse, how often did you have to add wood? Also I’ve been reading a lot about modding the firebox for both the smokehouse and the over and under. Did you do that also?

About every 45 minutes on either one of them. The fire grate sucks in both of them. I cut the center out on my smoke house fire box grate and put two layers of expanded metal. On the over and under it is so long it also sags or twists and warps. You could cut out the center portion and add expanded metal for better ash control but you need to brace it also.

The Smokehouse will be much more efficient but will run hotter. Over/Under will use more fuel but will run at 225F with ease. If you want to hit lower temps with the Smokehouse you'll need to run it more like a drum/PBC/WSM. Charcoal and wood chunks in a basket will be easier than trying to run it as a stick burner for low temps. Vertical cookers are very efficient but more difficult to run low and slow.

About every 45 minutes on either one of them. The fire grate sucks in both of them. I cut the center out on my smoke house fire box grate and put two layers of expanded metal. On the over and under it is so long it also sags or twists and warps. You could cut out the center portion and add expanded metal for better ash control but you need to brace it also.

Agree on the firebox grates as well...only downside to the over/under. Most even temps I've had in a cooker and you can fit a ton of meat in there.

I just did a quick modification with expanded metal..as mentioned will need to brace a little but works much better than the stock. Overall one of the best stick burners I've had in that price range.

picture.php

Never used a Smokehouse but I love my over/under. It wants to run 250-300 but that's my sweet spot anyway. Check the fit/finish on whichever you buy as they can vary greatly.

Back