the lighting of tattoo

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
a chimney starter works faster also, but i always end up spilling flaming charcoal all over the place so i quit trying that.

Just curious how long you had to apply the fan?. Theres a thirteen minute time frame that you used the fan for some portion of. Not geeking here, just wondering.

Just curious how long you had to apply the fan?. Theres a thirteen minute time frame that you used the fan for some portion of. Not geeking here, just wondering.

a couple of minutes a couple of times. the goal was to get the entire ceramic mass heated up so the bacon would cook from the radiating heat from the dome as well as from the charcoal on the bottom. there may have been beer involved.:biggrin:

nope. always light from the top.

that's not a squeeze bottle, it's a small, personnal fan to increase the draft through the bottom vent. it really works well. did you think i was spraying rum or lighter fluid into the bottom of the egg? :eek:
no lighter fluid, never, never, never.

No I knew you would never use lighter fluid. For some reason when I first lookeed at it I thought it was a little squeeze bottle with oil in it. Guess I need my glasses checked. The fan is a great idea.

Do you usually use chips or chunks of wood

i use dry chips most of the time. more surface area to provide smoke for smoasting (smoking and roasting at the same time). for low-n-slow, i'll use chips and chunks of hickory or discs of apple and cherry from the yard about 2" in diameter x 3/4 inch thick or sometime branch splits about 1"x6".

I think I'm going to try that next time... I've been using a chimney for a while now and keep forgetting that it's still hot five minutes after dumping the coals... that and dealing with the newspaper ash...

I'm trying to save up for a large BGE myself :-D

I am happy to say that I have one. I am ashame to say that I got it a few weeks ago and my life has been so nuts that I have not had a chance to finish sealing trhe table and get the Egg together to use. It is still in the box- not hatched :sad:

I am happy to say that I have one. I am ashame to say that I got it a few weeks ago and my life has been so nuts that I have not had a chance to finish sealing trhe table and get the Egg together to use. It is still in the box- not hatched :sad:

Sacrilege!

Mom bought the first one and went with the Medium cause we're a household of three... I'm just tired of fighting to fit stuff in it.

I have used the started cubes on my egg in the past. Currently use a paper towel driseled with oil but mine is more waded up. Then keep the egg open for 15 mins before closing. After switching to this method I have never had a desire to use anything else.

Rick thanks for the posting. I too have used the veg oil on paper towel but not twisted. Gotta try it now.

I like the break up the charcoal idea. I have had problems sometimes getting 550 for pizza. Even taking the adustable cap/top off.

When making pizza last time not to hurry the egg heating up in fact I got busy doing other stuff and it heated for 45 min or so best pizza yet.

I have used the started cubes on my egg in the past. Currently use a paper towel driseled with oil but mine is more waded up. Then keep the egg open for 15 mins before closing. After switching to this method I have never had a desire to use anything else.

i use starter cubes in the mini usually, but i don't like the smell that comes off them. sometime they go out and the smolder is not pleasant. i've been using the weedburner on the mini lately since he is gasketless now. the oil and papertowel method is a standby backup.

I like your "little friend". My father-in-law, gave me one of these for my birthday.... Of course he was trying to insult me since he left the $0.99 price tag on. Oh well, the joke's on him I guess, since it's a pretty good way to get air flow.

Attachments

• bellows12.jpg
    bellows12.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 28
i used to have one of those but i gave it away. :roll:
i wish i still had it

Back