THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have no experience with boiled peanuts, please elaborate on the process and what the finished product is like. The only peanuts I've eaten have been dry roasted or ground into peanut butter. Forgive my ignorance for all I know all peanuts are boiled. They do sell cans of boiled peanuts at my Walmart but I have never tried them.

Have no experience with boiled peanuts, please elaborate on the process and what the finished product is like. The only peanuts I've eaten have been dry roasted or ground into peanut butter. Forgive my ignorance for all I know all peanuts are boiled. They do sell cans of boiled peanuts at my Walmart but I have never tried them.

Not all peanuts are boiled. Most are roasted, even the peanut butter ones before they are made into peanut butter. Ideally for boiled ones you want them a little green. We just add water and salt, bring them to a boil and simmer for 2-3 hours. The canned ones are OK but can't hold a candle to fresh boiled ones IMO. As soon as I get my plated pics I'll include a pic of the peanuts too. Also I'll try to get a series of pics in the next few weeks if I can catch the different stages of the harvest process.

Never had the grill okra- that is on my short list. Hit the wall on "regular bbq" lately - looking for something different.

Boiled peanuts - loved them growing up in 'Bama- still do-but can't say they are everyone's cup of tea. And the canned ones are like McDonald burgers- not as good as the real thing.

The chicken was nice and moist, but I'd have liked to crisp the skin more. The okra was a very nice alternative to fried, it could have used a bit more garlic IMO. The wife says I'm never happy with anything. My reply, everything can be better, even you. Guess that wasn't the best thing to say.

Here's a closeup of the peanuts. They are much different than roasted ones, nice and soft and mushy!

Attachments

• 911-5.jpg
    911-5.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 186
All looks so good. Boiled peanuts are just awesome. One of my favorite snacks even though I don't eat them a lot. They are great boiled with just salt and also fun to change up the spices when boiling for different flavors. Sky's the limit.

MSD love Okra - I'm OK with it but never really had it fresh - Gotta try it. The canned stuff ids too slimy for me unless in a gumbo or something.

Yours does look good

My dad was from Cedertown GA so I do know boiled peanuts!

Peanuts are grown underground, when ready the plant is just turned over in the field and left in the hot Georgia sun to dry so they separate easy when harvested. The sandy soil is the best soil for peanuts to grow in. I'm sure "Lighter Fluid" will show you some good pics and be able to tell more about how they are grown. I sure could wear some out about now. Plain is good, but spice em good with a cold beverage and now you got something.

I grew up in Dothan, Al. the "Peanut Capital of the World". The National Peanut Festival is usually the first week in November, 11/4-13 this year. First one I can remember was 1957, yes, I'm that old! Most folks outside the real South never heard of boiled peanuts. Both of my Grand Pa's always had a peanut field and my Dad and I would pull and pick a water bucket full and Mama would boil 'em. This is one of my favorite childhood memories, along with hog killin' day.

Love me some boiled peanuts. We like them Cajun style but won't turn down the salted version. I'll pick up a sack when I go to south GA this week.

I'm definitely going to try the grilled okra. Yours looks really good. All we ever do is southern fry it cornmeal breaded or pickle it.

Back