THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hi all!!

Ok...I found a whole ham...about 20 lbs...has a nice face on one end...and the other end goes down to the start of the shank.

The thing is completely covered with skin. Do I need to remove this skin to let smoke in it?

Also, I'd read other threads on here where someone cut the ham in two..for lowered smoke times. How did you get through the bone? Do you use a hack saw?

Still looking for the commercial curing product..no luck yet...and no time to order it before T-Day....

Anyway, just curious about the correct way to prep the ham. I'd though of maybe just scoring the ham all over with diamond shapes...but, still concerned that wouldn't let enough smoke into the meat.

Cayenne

Do not remove the skin. Score it in a diamond pattern and place a clove in each diamond. Find the thread on Dr. Chicken's double smoked ham.

I have a bone saw. It is an old hack saw. The blade comes from a band saw blade that was used for cutting meat. You can buy one of these blades, cut it to length, drill holes in them and have enough blades to last you a life time.

Ok..so far...

willkat98 said:
Dr Chicken also has some recipes in the links under "all things pork"

Thanks, found the Dr. Chicken recepies...and others...so, gonna most likely cross them and come up with one of my own.

One thing I've not found in them...(I'll go reread again) is a couple of metrics to plan for...
This is for the whole ham...about 20 lbs.

1. Brining...any good guestimaiton on how long this should be for? I've seen from 3 days to weeks. I've only got till Wed evening..but, would be nice to know for future planning.

2. Cooking time estimate. I'm going to go by temp, but, just for planning purposes...I've seen from an hour/lb to 1.5+ hours per lb.
Any good estimate from experience ?

I'm going to shoot for smoking to about 140F internal temp...pull off and foil in a cooler. From what I've been reading, a ham is different than a butt....where on a butt you go to 130, foil and put back into smoker to 160+....with ham, you get the pre-foiling temp higher and just let the carryover finish it....

One other thing I'm confused on...many posts say brine OR inject....does this mean you don't do both? I was going to try to brine with curing nitrates in the solution...but, had also thought to inject with a variation of the Dr. Chicken recipe...
So, can/should you do both or only choose one method?

Thanks again for all the advice so far...this is really a great forum..

C :p

I would inject the ham, not brine. Most hams have already been brined. Look for the 23% water added on the label.

Fresh ham...

Neil said:
I would inject the ham, not brine. Most hams have already been brined. Look for the 23% water added on the label.

This is not a pre-cooked ham...completely 100% fresh ham...raw meat...

:)

Most of the stuff I've seen is for pre-cooked pre-processed hams...I'm wanting to start from scratch and get close to an end result of a store bought ham. Since I can't find the Prague poweder or Mortorn's Tender Quick anywhere locally...I guess I don't do it this time (no pink color on completion).

Thanks for the reply...in light of this info, would you still recommend injecting over brining?

Also, anyone out there with estimates of times for planning purposes?

C

You can inject the cure, you can use the vains in the ham to get the well distributed along with injecting into the flesh.
There is also a Morton product called Sugar cure w/hickory flavoring. You choose to use the hickory flavor or not.
You need to be getting this done today at the lastest to be very effective.

I would inject a fresh ham. And about an hour and a half per pound will gt you a rough time estimate. Be safe and go with 2 hours and you can always hold in coolers if done early.

GOOD NEWS!!
I finally found a place for cure. I found a spice mixing plant here: www.deepsouthblenders.com and they were nice enough to sell me come cure. They had a ham prep premix...but, I opted for mixing on my own. Using the recipe for the brine from the other post of curing hams on the list here.

One question...do ya'll think I should cut the skin in the diamond shape prior to brine or just before putting in the smoker?

I'm thinking of injecting near the bone too when putting it into the brine...

Anyway, cutting it to the wire..but, hopefully will get it going in time...

C

Back