New Years Oysters on the High Plains w/Pr0n

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Being from North Carolina, and having spent many years living on the Atlantic and Emerald Coasts of Florida, I couldn't ring in the New Year without oysters of some sort.

They get rather small once they swim this far upstream to New Mexico... :shock: :loco:.... OK, OK... so the only way I can get 'em is the pre-shucked variety at Wally World.

We'd planned to make them along side our New Year's Eve Gambas al Ajillo but, thankfully, it didn't quite work out.

ECqCQWql.jpg

Today's lunch became Three Cheese Oyster Gratin.

Oysters over homemade béchamel sauce in a smaller cast iron skillet

S1BhpA5l.jpg

Covered with the other half batch of béchamel sauce, a whole mess of Parmesan cheese, and a few knobs of butter

7XHkINhl.jpg

Broiled the lot for about 15 min

evIu5cel.jpg

Sorry for the lame focus selection (away from the bread w/ oyster in the foreground), but the whole family LOVED it.

IM0Arsml.jpg

The munchkin came back for seconds..... then was straight off for a nap. :becky:

If you like gruyere, white cheddar, white wine, butter, garlic... crusty bread... this is for you.

that looks great.

My brother brought over a 30lb sack of oysters from the coast NYE. Sat on the back patio eating oysters and drinking too much beer and wine. Was too busy shucking and drinking to remember to take pictures. Oyster juice was all over my bar so IPAD and phone had to remain safely away. Did a bunch of raw with coctail or mignonette sauce and grilled a bunch up quasi-Drago's style (garlic/parsley butter plus parmesan and a dash of tiger sauce). awesome stuff. still wishing I took pictures.

Chingy - YES!

This is how I grew up in Eastern NC... at the age of 3-ish, I vividly remember walking into my neighbor's garage only to have a freshly shucked oyster with spicy cocktail sauce on a saltine put in my mouth. Somehow (I'm a nutter), I was hooked!

My wife was the opposite... but I first roasted some (on the half-shell) on the grill for her when we lived in Germany, and she's slowly come around to the raw variety.

I can almost taste your NYE through the computer. That sounds wonderful.

Chingy - YES!

This is how I grew up in Eastern NC... at the age of 3-ish, I vividly remember walking into my neighbor's garage only to have a freshly shucked oyster with spicy cocktail sauce on a saltine put in my mouth. Somehow (I'm a nutter), I was hooked!

My wife was the opposite... but I first roasted some (on the half-shell) on the grill for her when we lived in Germany, and she's slowly come around to the raw variety.

I can almost taste your NYE through the computer. That sounds wonderful.

Thanks Marc. Oysters are a good thing for sure. I don’t get them as often as I like. They are a bit of a mess to deal with at home but man are they good. I am a little out of practice with an oyster knife but was on a roll opening oysters with little issue or cuts. My brother had an off night and was having trouble getting them open. The few that gave us the most double went on the hot grill to loosen up. Those were enjoyed with a dash of tiger sauce

I absolutely love oysters and those look AMAZING!! I need to make it a point to find some locally and try different cooking methods. Here's to a New Year of your incredible creations.

I absolutely love oysters and those look AMAZING!! I need to make it a point to find some locally and try different cooking methods. Here's to a New Year of your incredible creations.

Costco in Alpharetta had fresh shucked 16 oz Pacific Oysters on sale for $4.50 this week. I bought 8 containers and already ate 4. $4.50 is super cheap for 16 oz shucked and you're not going to find cheaper.

Used to go to St George Island in Florida, which is off the coast of Apalachicola, which is the home of some amazing oysters. So farking good.

Back