Yardbird Shelf Life

Crüe-B-Cüe

is Blowin Smoke!
I was cleaning out the pantry and discovered a shaker of Yardbird. How it got on the shelf instead of in my rub rack, I will never know. Mrs. Crüe claims innocence.:roll: I'm not sure when I purchased this one as it is a regular rub. I know I haven't misplaced any recently, so I'm guessing close to a year. That's probably about the last time I cleaned it out. Has anybody actually let it sit around that long? I guess there's only one way to find out. Looks like I'll have to cook something now. :cool:

The general recommendation for dry rubs is 6 months. I would use it myself but I'm a cheap farker.

If it was pre-MSG, that bottle is 18 months old... at least. It will probably taste saltier. It won't go "bad", it just won't be as fresh, so the garlic, onion, and other flavors won't stand out as much. Salt and sugars don't fade, so they will come through more on an older rub.

Use it, don't toss it. Maybe save it for times when you just want a season salt: popcorn, french fries, fried fish, etc.

Todd isn't kidding about the popcorn. I watched people get back in line for second and 3rd bags of popcorn that had been seasoned with it in Des Moines earlier this year. It was like slinging crack:lol:

We have a popcorn popper in the lobby at work. Friday afternoons is popcorn time.

"Someone" put a bottle of Yardbird by it this summer.

If it was pre-MSG, that bottle is 18 months old... at least. It will probably taste saltier. It won't go "bad", it just won't be as fresh, so the garlic, onion, and other flavors won't stand out as much. Salt and sugars don't fade, so they will come through more on an older rub.

Use it, don't toss it. Maybe save it for times when you just want a season salt: popcorn, french fries, fried fish, etc.

Is that a recipe change or just a label change?

Back