quick ideas for WSM - too much smoke

Wager

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
doing my first spatchcock chicken and for some reason I'm getting a ton of white smoke. I initially let it burn for about 45 minutes after the minion start with a single chunk of apple and i had nice thin blue smoke when I put the chicken on. now 30 minutes after putting the chicken on it's billowing white. temp has stayed steady at 335 before and after. top vent is wide open and the three bottom vents are 75%. all of the ashes were cleaned out before i lit up tonight. any ideas what's going on? I can't get back to the blue:mad:

Are you using water in the water pan? 335* will turn water to steam.

actually, I'm not using the water pan this go around. This is an experiment to see if I can get close results to the UDS before taking the plunge and building one.

probably all the fat burning. grate is just to close to the fire to really work. my guess anyhoo.

Maybe your wood was wet or green?

You think it might be fat, sauce, and whatever else is coming off your chicken hitting the coals or a blazing hot pan?

is the wood chunk next to the fire or on top of it??

Any chance the white smoke is chicken fat burning as it hits the coals? With one chunk of wood, and it was producing sweet blue, it just doesn't seem likely that it's the wood causing the white smoke.

Hold your hand over the exhaust for a little bit and smell it. Nasty smoke will produce a bitter acrid smell.

I'm with the others, its the fat burning when it drips on the hot coals.

Scott

No one else is willing to tell you the truth, but I will. You have a defective WSM. Send it to me, I'll even pay postage, and I'll put it out of your misery.

must be something from the chicken, fat or the marinade. I marinated it in an asian chili marinade. just stuck my face in the "smoke" and id doesn't really smell like wood smoke so you guys must be right, it's something buring that is dropping from the chicken. When you UDS guys do a chicken or other hot cook do you get this type of white "smoke"? I don't think I'm too close to the fire. done wings this way a ton and never had this problem.

ok, quick update. the chicken is off and it actually tastes really good. it was definitely not wood smoke and must have been as everyone says fat or something else from the chicken. this is my first try at spatchcock chicken and it turned out really tasty and moist, almost as moist as the beercan chicken I usually do which is a huge surprise. Thanks everyone for the input on what I thought was a problem. It certainly doesn't taste like the problem I thought it was.

That's what the site is here for. Congrats on a great cook!

Great job! It's great to have all this experience at your fingertips and have people around who will help.

Pictures?

Back