Liver?

TXFIRE

Found some matches.
I need help...
I have been asked to smoke beef liver and I don't know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I hate LIVER...

I have smoked Braunschweiger with good results, so maybe if you make a liver sausage with it that would be good. I have never smoked any form of beef liver before though.

Yeah, liver is super lean, no real fat. Thats why to cook it right in the fry pan you just quick cook it on each side. Guess you could smoke it but I bet it turns out super tough but would probably make a good pate' by putting it in a food processor with some mayo, sour cream, worshy sauce and diced onions.

Scott

If I were so inclined to smoke liver I think I would season it with just salt, pepper and garlic. Smoke 15 min at around 230, in a heavy smoke, cover with foil with bacon and onion sauteed and placed on top of liver drippings and all for maybe another 10 or 15 minutes. I usually dredge my liver in flour but don't think I would if I were smoking it. Problem most have cooking liver is too high of heat and cooking to long.

Heck liver is cheap enough why not get some and try it out, worse that could happen is your cat or dog my get a bonus. If you hate it you need to find someone who likes it and see what they think of it, who know you mite love it if done right. And don't forget the mustard greens or spinach with crumbled bacon along with some vinegar to dress it in and some fried taters for sides.
Dave

If its a must,

Cut it into 1 inch cubes wrap with bacon and smoke till bacon sets then sauce. What would you call Bacon covered Guts?

Not sure what would be worse, Bacon covered guts or being forced to watch a Down home with the Neelies Marathon.

I plead guilty to really loving liver--so there :evil:

Never smoked beef liver, but I have done lots of chicken livers and gizzards.
Light rub and a quick cook.

They pick up lots, and lots, and lots of smoke flavor, and very quickly.
If overdone, you will have "innards jerky", for sure.

As someone said--give it a try.
Cheap and easy to test and make up your own mind.
I will do some the next time I have the smoker fired up, for sure.

TIM

The lady that asks has to eat liver a couple times a week per her doctor. She is looking for new ways to cook it.
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for all the ideas and help. I will pass this info on to her…[/FONT]

If its a must,

Cut it into 1 inch cubes wrap with bacon and smoke till bacon sets then sauce. What would you call Bacon covered Guts?

Not sure what would be worse, Bacon covered guts or being forced to watch a Down home with the Neelies Marathon.
The truth will set you free!!!! Total agreement.

I too have done chicken livers. I don't like gizzards, but love livers. I've smoked, grilled & deep fried them. On different occasions of course. They do cook quickly. Put a lot of them on & check them often. you'll figure out what time & temp works best for you.

The lady that asks has to eat liver a couple times a week per her doctor. She is looking for new ways to cook it.
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for all the ideas and help. I will pass this info on to her…[/FONT]

She must have really pissed her Doctor off

Back