My first ...

iamuzzyhunter

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
tomatillos! I planted 4 plants. This is a shot of what they are doing so far. If they all grow, it looks like I will have hundreds. My wife isn't so excited, but I need some ideas what to do with all of them.

tomatillo-1.jpg

My wife has a great Salsa Verde recipe... I'll see if I can pry it out of her and post it here for ya...

I'll give you mine and it's better than the mexicans...I boil 6 or eight of em along with an equal amt of japlapinos (by weight - I like it HOT) in salted water. Have a handfull of chopped cilantro ready and heat up some chicken broth (I use the powered Knorr as do all my mexican friends). Roast some garlic and onion in a comal and add them to a blender along with the tomatillios, japs, and cilantro (salt to taste). Blend to disired consistency (might have to add some of the boiling water to blend well). In a DEEP stock pot with 2 tbs of oil FRY and stir the mixture (gotta stir constantly as it splatters a lot) for about 5 min. Now hold that there pot over the sink and pour the HOT broth in (it splatters some more but cools off quick), place back on heat, cover and simmer for 10 or 15 min and enjoy.

Chile Verde

Grill tomatillos, onions, green tomatoes and green hot peppers then transfer to a blender or food chopper to rough chop.

Puor it all in a big pot and add smoked pork along with whatever spices you desire then let simmer for a few hours.

I usually eat it over rice.

This is my all time favorite salsa verde recipe. It's from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen. It's a little bit of work, but well worth it. Couple of notes:
  1. Use the roasting method, not the boiling method. Much better flavor.
  2. He says to add 2 cups of stock (I use chicken stock) then simmer 10 minutes until it is the right thickness. No way 10 minutes is long enough unless you add less stock. I always end up simmering it about 30 minutes until it has the right consistency.
IMG_0001resized.jpg

IMG_0002resized.jpg

I love Salsa Verde. How about some recipes with Salsa Verde. I like the stuff in scrambled eggs and on top of Pork chops. Not real inventive but great.

Salsa verde makes a great topping for grilled chicken breasts.

Also really good on chicken or chicken/cheese enchiladas.

Have a great recipe that is simple - will try to post when I learn how to get a PDF file pasted on the forum??

i had two plants one year and had hundreds of them so be prepared

I rate recipes on a 1-10 scale - the rating says it all - I think this is very similar to the one Saiko posted but easier:-D

salsaverderecipe.jpg

another thought and I know nothing about canning but I know tomatillos are available commercially canned.

Might want to Google it and try canning some, then you could have good stuff in the middle of an Iowa winter:mrgreen:

ok, here is the recipe I was talking about earlier. ( I stole it from the wifey's cookbook while she wasn't looking!)

1 lb tomatillos, husked
1 white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic
2 jalapenos
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
juice of 1/2 lime

roast tomatillos, onion, garlic, and jalapenos on a tray at 400 for 12-15 minutes
transfer roasted vegitables AND ALL JUICES to a food processor
add remaining ingredients and pulse until well combined but still a little chunky.

She said she got the recipe from a Tyler Florence recipe on Food Network

This stuff is the bomb. She usually cans a few jars when she makes it and we use it all year. She has even given it as gifts. Good Stuff.

It looks very similar to the one LJH posted, so play around with it!

Saiko has pulled out the "Holy Grail" though so you might wanna try that one too.
Rick Bayless is probably among my top 5 favorite chefs in the world!

Sorry, I want to test something as far as attachments:

Attachments

• Salsa Verde.pdf
    136.5 KB · Views: 7
That recipe looks great - must be about a 1000 variations on chile verde and ya know, I bet they are all good:-D

Don't want to hijack the thread - just easier to comment here.

Grease Pig - that was my fault - the original is upside down - thought I corrected it but guess that only worked in my view of it. But now I know how to use that option.

And if Rick Bayless is one of the five, who are the other four?

Back