***The Hanging and Spinning Meat Appreciation Thread***

Good looking food but are you sure it tastes ok without having horsey handles? LOL I love the setups Eb!

I'm gonna keep testing with using the rebar on top for some cooks because i'm starting to like the way the exhaust spreads out evenly and the convection it creates.

I'm also thinking about clips to hold the bars in place from moving or notching the rebar....although so far I haven't come close to knocking them off. I'll post what i come up with.

Just to be certain, you and PaSmoker are talking about laying the rebar over the top of the open cooker and then laying the lid on top of the rebar--not cooking without the lid? (Of course the lid isn't there in most of your photos, but I had assumed that was just so we could see the inside.)

...And you're saying that the gap between the top of the smoker body and the lid can serve as both intake and vent, creating a beneficial convection?

...And you're saying that the gap between the top of the smoker body and the lid can serve as both intake and vent, creating a beneficial convection?

Yes the lid is on except in the rotisserie drum pics.

What I've seen so far is that the gap does serve as intake and exhaust once the fire is up and running good.

The other day when i cooked the hanging bone in butt I didn't use any bottom intake air for the first 3 hours but i did open the intakes to stoke the initial fire. Started with a way full loaded basket and with over a half partial lit chimney.

Yesterday when i did the halved chicken I didn't have as much charcoal in the basket and didn't light as much and i needed some bottom intake air.

So basically use the intake air if you need to but you won't need as much from what i'm seeing. It seems like one of the cleanest burns I've gotten doing it this way though.

Last edited:
Here are some pics as you know I'm an avid fan of letting my meat hang. :becky: It always cooks nice and uniform along with having amazing flavor and moisture.

Some pork belly, wangs

20150419_173740.jpg

20150419_172531.jpg

20150315_141745.jpg

20150315_171738.jpg

20150315_165916.jpg

Chicken

KOXZisqLik2krjQLTc_WJx2lDYhyg0zR74CpYvtXCxo=w1744-h981-no

cgF2BWBd6e0SfYRXXQ4BYnwcSTVmV4FxnWCLPXsWJ30=w1744-h981-no

3v-B3y4-uy-lMPiWYV52HQ8z0tjcVknp1jRZ9f06gmI=w1744-h981-no

Brisket

uLjpKdwhdqj6BcWkuAgsJYXgwhzE7TI0Ej_pGa0fCs4=w1744-h981-no

Moist beyond compare

EQlUzw5i2DLiqY2DKGmEGEtVl-48EBZnn1R74Yfiun0=w1744-h981-no

CiIX955ZDHC0pJpeKjBysFWs_02ws5tXvWO30EsDux8=w1744-h981-no

ksSlVg4iA1NWZmvRWjjrGfvBwe9I2pdTPivGfZEvgt4=w1744-h981-no

0cmmwVGYhvUr8B8HiPNh9DtF6LIsEMjPn5XASOsJTGs=w1744-h981-no

Here are some pics as you know I'm an avid fan of letting my meat hang. :becky: It always cooks nice and uniform along with having amazing flavor and moisture.

20150315_141745.jpg

20150315_171738.jpg

The setup with the real wood underneath and being able to grate cook and hang is off the hook...love it. Those sausage hangers sure come in handy!

Not that I wasn't sold on it before but I'm more sold on the LSG vertal offset with warmer more than ever.

The setup with the real wood underneath and being able to grate cook and hang is off the hook...love it. Those sausage hangers sure come in handy!

Not that I wasn't sold on it before but I'm more sold on the LSG vertal offset with warmer more than ever.

Thanks Keith! I had Chris add the hangers in the oven since I envisioned what I was going to do. :mrgreen:

I'm in talks with my brother trying to see if somehow I can fabricate a roti in the oven. He knows a fabricator or two that may be able to help. We'll see.

I am just not convinced on what the difference between hanging the meat or setting it on a rack could be. Don't get me wrong, the pictures are gorgeous, but who is to say it wouldn't be as good on a rack?

I am just not convinced on what the difference between hanging the meat or setting it on a rack could be. Don't get me wrong, the pictures are gorgeous, but who is to say it wouldn't be as good on a rack?

Terry I actually think rack/grate can be better sometimes but it depends on what i'm cooking as to which way I want to go. Sometimes I want more of a maillard reaction from grate cooking.

The benefits to me I'll just use examples from my last cooks. The butt I don't think I could have done better/faster without foiling at the high temps i cooked at, It cooked very even also. Grate cooking i would have left more fat cap on and wouldn't have had as much quality bark as I had with hanging because i didn't need that extra fat cap to serve as a heat shield or extra basting.

Chicken, baked potatoes, corn from yesterday it was nice to cook all of them not having to worry about flipping the baked potato over or turning the corn and everything was done at the same time in the same cooker using very little charcoal. Grate cooking for that meal in one cooker at the same time would have been more tedious and not sure it would have cooked as evenly.

There's cooks where i like to hang something and grate cook others at the same time so it's nice to have that flexibility.

Now back to taste. Chicken for an example, sometimes i'd rather spatchcock and sear for a different flavor but other times rotisserie or hang them....All are good but just different. Some say there is extra basting in hanging and that helps with taste...there can be some truth to that but I still think rotisserie is the only true way to get self basting.

Foods to me haven't been juicier or necessarily taste better but being able to go higher heat and get even cooking has been the biggest advantage....also more cooking space with less charcoal has been a bonus.

Well for me, the ribs, chuck roast and chops have turned out better than any other smoker/cooker I have owned or used...ever. I still have to experiment with the bird, as I've been doing birds mostly the same way for 30+ yrs and prefer the grate so far, but hanging I didn't not do the higher temp like I do on a grate( I was also doing ribs at the same time. So I will be trying the higher temps hanging.
Here's the tent stake hooks compared to one of my CRS hooks.

I do not believe they are stainless, they may rust, but using them to cook and keeping them clean I think they will be fine. They are not galvanized. I just unbend/open the eyelet at the top to leave/make the top hook, then bend the second bend again using a vise, and rawhide hammer.

Well for me, the ribs, chuck roast and chops have turned out better than any other smoker/cooker I have owned or used...ever. I still have to experiment with the bird, as I've been doing birds mostly the same way for 30+ yrs and prefer the grate so far, but hanging I didn't not do the higher temp like I do on a grate( I was also doing ribs at the same time. So I will be trying the higher temps hanging.

Nice work on the hooks how long did you make the piece that hangs down from bar and the one that holds the food TK's

Between 3 1/4 and 3 1/2 from the pointed tip. They worked great so I will be making more.

curious as to "shape/design" of your hooks as opposed to just an "S" hook?...method to your madness?

Between 3 1/4 and 3 1/2 from the pointed tip. They worked great so I will be making more.
I'll probably make some but for now I'll have about 40 of the ones made from round rod because I gotta cook about 25 ears of corn and a bunch of chicken parts for a party.

So nice to just make some cheap because it would have broke the bank buying that many.

Walmart is where the stakes are from?

I gotta try hanging some corn soon. Looks pretty cool!
Yea it works great...I just leave the husk and hook towards the top. I'll foil the bottom if it's over flame but other than that it's just hook and hang. 350*-400* and done in about an hour.

Hanging and Spinning Meat Appreciation Thread
Giggity. I wonder what the bounce rate is from organic google searches to this thread. :razz:

Everything looks awesome, those adapters you made eb look sweet. I take it you can accomplish this in a WSM by removing the water pan or do you guys leave a deflector in? Will have to research this some, as that food is looking grreeat!

Can't wait so see what kind of contraptions you guys have for spinning/rotation. Someone has to be first, who's it gonna be?

Walmart is where the stakes are from?

Yes in the tent isle, they don't show on their web site. There was a basket of about 100+ and somewhere around 47 to 53 cents ea. I grabbed a few to experiment, used em and they worked great. Went back to get a buch more, but they have been sold out for over a week now.

Hanging and Spinning Meat Appreciation Thread

Can't wait so see what kind of contraptions you guys have for spinning/rotation. Someone has to be first, who's it gonna be?

Hopefully in the next few months I'll be able to show the most versatile rotisserie tool I've used.

In the mean time i'll dig out some pics of some pretty cool rotisserie cooks with some products that are on the market now. Rotisserie makes some great food.

Back