Bad taste from ThermoWorks...

bonehead762

Full Fledged Farker
Chatted with ThermoWorks Rep about purchasing a third Smoke unit. I already own two Smokes and Two Thermopens. Really didn't like the way he responded to my question about swapping out the air probe for a regular food probe. I have two already and would have absolutely no need for a third air probe. Totally useless. However, after the chat rep was finished I called the company directly and asked but was again told that they wouldn't do the swap.

I really resent being forced to buy a product that duplicates (or triplicates) a part of the tool set. I can justify have a second, back up, air probe but not a third. It would just sit and never ever ever get used. I'm rethinking my relationship with ThermoWorks very hard...

Seems like the amount of sales that are generated from sites/forums like these would behoove them to allow the option of swapping accessories.

Anyone care to swap a new ThermoWorks air probe for a food probe?

Last edited:
I agree. I guess that's another check mark I can put towards thinking about a fireboard. I have 1 smoke now.

Thanks for the idea. I just sent Fireboard a message with some specific questions regarding connectivity. I look forward to hearing back from them.

Too bad for ThermoWorks.

While i dont see the big deal may be you could buy ala carte? After you buy each part individual it most likely would cost more.

Do they sell individual proves?

I think they are pretty reasonable in their response, especially since extra probes are cheap and you can easily sell or swap one one you won't be using. Maybe not ideal for you, but they have to think of the desires of the majority of customers and how and who they are marketing the product.

I have worked for a lot of different companies that sell to the public directly and indirectly, and these decisions are a lot harder than you may realise - can you imagine requiring all your stockists to carry double the stock to offer this option?

Please don't be angry at the rep for being honest, he could have just said he'll run it by the company knowing full well they have decided against this, or agreed with you while criticising the company itself, or just made up some bogus reason, all things I've seen pretty often, as bizarre as it seems.

Their service has been outstanding for me. When I recd a timer that was doa they immediately put a new one in the mail no questions asked. I have purchased a dozen different products for myself and as gifts.

It’s a thermometer produced in mass, not a custom made item. If it was custom made, it would cost significantly more. The response you rec’d was appropriate and in line with any mass produced product. Visit an assembly line and see how it works.

Your post title is what is really mis leading and unfortunate.

However, after the chat rep was finished I called the company directly and asked but was again told that they wouldn't do the swap.

Not surprising in the least, and kudos to ThermoWorks for being consistent in their response. I can think of many off-the-shelf items that don't do a mix and match. I don't call up Samsung to buy a phone and ask "hey could you leave the charger out, because I already have 352,435,218,681 of them" -- I'd be laughed off the phone.

Mass produced items don't work that way. Now that's not to say it wouldn't be more convenient for the consumer, but it would likely would increase the cost of the item because they'd have to custom-stuff each order. Ever compare the prices of an a la carte meal vs. a prix fixe meal? Yeah. Consumer choice is always more expensive.

If it was separate packaging, I could see this differently, but what you asked was not something that's really doable IMO. The unit comes prepackaged, everything in the box. Expecting that they open your product and change out pieces before shipping is just not something any company would do. The fact that the rep took the time to look into it and they called you back with an answer is really above and beyond normal customer service. if you want something that's not on the menu, you should be realistic about your expectations. In this case, it would cost you a few extra dollars to buy an additional probe. Does the product not work? Did they offer something they didn't follow through on? Was the service poor? No. They just can't modify their base product to some other configuration that is convenient to you. Doesn't really seem like they did anything worthy of being bashed on a public forum.

Thanks for the idea. I just sent Fireboard a message with some specific questions regarding connectivity. I look forward to hearing back from them.

Too bad for ThermoWorks.

When I emailed Fireboard a question about using Smoke probes, I was told they should work, but they don't really advertise it because they can't control Smoke changing their probes. Regardless, the Smoke comes with a few probes, so I'd think you'd be OK either way. I'm a Smoke guy, but the Gateway performance has been so abysmal I'm wanting to get a Fireboard.

• Thanks
Reactions: LTG
I can understand your issue because you already have 2 units but as others have said they cant generate a new package just for you. If I was in your shoes that explanation would be enough and I would just spend the extra few bucks and buy an additional food probe and use the un-needed air probe as back up.

I believe what Bonehead is saying is that the smoke should be sold as the main unit with your choice of 2 probes, instead of "this is what you get".

Last edited:
After I ordered a DOT, I saw there was a air probe available so I called back to see if I could get that along with the meat probe. The order was already processed So I asked what was the difference between the two. Lady told me one is longer...LOL and that they both tell the same temperature.

So the meat probe it comes with will do both, I'd rather have extra meat probes.

Back