Costco PRIME briskets, been nice knowing you...

Beentown

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Went to grab a few cases of brisket and my meat guy said that "since no supplier can keep up with demand that Costco is only keeping PRIME briskets in select Regions". My region is one that has lost them. I purchased what they had left. Now to try and source for a similar price somewhere...

Just a heads up. May want to grab a couple for yourself and ask them if your Region will still get them.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

My Sam's still carries them if you have one close. Walk in as a visitor and see what they have.

Not sure if I'm in the same situation or not. I was at the Costco nearest to me a couple of weeks ago and I think they only had two Packer Briskets and maybe 5 Flats. Usually plenty of both. Guess I'll find out on my next visit and see what's there. I may have to start searching for Chuck Roast recipes.

I think the difference at my Costco is (was?) only .50/pound so, ~$7 on a 14lb packer. I'm pretty darn cheap at times but, for the time and effort I put into a brisket on the offset, $7 for the likelihood of a better result is worth it to me.

That said, prime is $3.99 right now and I'm hoping it drops a bit very soon as I'm hungry for "moist" brisket (it was as low as $2.99 a year or two ago, I probably wont see that ever again).

Is there still a Restaurant Depot on the west side? Off of Wilson Rd, If I remember correctly.

Is there still a Restaurant Depot on the west side? Off of Wilson Rd, If I remember correctly.

Not sure about anywhere else, but the RD near me doesn't sell Prime Briskets, only "Upper Choice Angus".

I called the Costco nearest me and they hadn't heard anything about this, but also said they would only know about what is currently active, and Prime Briskets are an active product currently. They said they couldn't say what future changes are planned.

Nervously keeping fingers crossed...

I think the difference at my Costco is (was?) only .50/pound so, ~$7 on a 14lb packer. I'm pretty darn cheap at times but, for the time and effort I put into a brisket on the offset, $7 for the likelihood of a better result is worth it to me.

That said, prime is $3.99 right now and I'm hoping it drops a bit very soon as I'm hungry for "moist" brisket (it was as low as $2.99 a year or two ago, I probably wont see that ever again).

If you can buy prime brisket for $3.99, you better grab all you can now while it's available.
Ed

Just grabbed a Prime for $3.99/lb without issue in TN today. I honestly dont believe they'll stop carrying them.

"Happenings" such as this are most often a regional thing. For example, you'll see "Costco has tri-tip!" --- yeah, maybe in California. Same principle -- guarantee you're not gonna see brisket going away from Costco in the midwest or southeast at minimum.

I'll have to ask one of the guys in the meat dept next time, they were busy putting out a loud buzzer when I was nearby (I guess they have an alert when I get near!)

Tis unfortunately true for us here in Delaware also, went today and they only had choice packers and choice high dollar flats

Not sure about anywhere else, but the RD near me doesn't sell Prime Briskets, only "Upper Choice Angus".

I called the Costco nearest me and they hadn't heard anything about this, but also said they would only know about what is currently active, and Prime Briskets are an active product currently. They said they couldn't say what future changes are planned.

Nervously keeping fingers crossed...

I switched from Costco prime to those restaurant depot upper choice. I found way too much fat on the Costco briskets and there was much difference in quality. ever since the pandemic RD has been giving out day passes to the general public.

I switched from Costco prime to those restaurant depot upper choice. I found way too much fat on the Costco briskets and there was much difference in quality. ever since the pandemic RD has been giving out day passes to the general public.

There are certain choice brands I’ll take over prime. Pretty happy with the ones mentioned from RD but Sam’s carries a brand I really like called Black Canyon that I always have great results from.

I always have to laugh when I see the complaints about brisket prices.
VERY few good briskets to be had from European kettle over here so most of the good briskets are imported (US, Canada, Australia..). And that does reflect itself in the price, but only just.

From one of my favorite meat suppliers:

Full brisket wholepacker us prime - € 243,76 / 8 kg

:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

Perused meats this weekend and saw choice brisket from 3-6$ per pound. Big spread. Lots of tongues and cheeks. Think I saw Prime at Sam's right at $4#.
I live in a part of the world surrounded by 26 counties and 15Million cows. Beef is always available in some form but prices can vary greatly.

Select-Choice-Prime????

I was taught and firmly believe that Choice is the Sweet Spot of brisket. These days my criteria involve a huge point. A point as flat as the flat? I'll pass

Back