Well my last post well tell you how I did that and thats why I take it out to light it and keep it from blowing out my flam. Also when I light the charcoal I only either light four or five coals in the middle of the pile or four of five on the very outside edge, kind of a version of the Minion Method I guess and I am not sure which is the best way to do it, I experment each time. But the basket is not that hot when I put it back in but I still wear gloves.
Dave

When you use the weed burner do you just light a few coals in the middle to do the minion method?

Mo - Why do the ball joint pipe vents need to be L-shaped and pointing up? Just curious what the reason is for going to that much trouble.

Thanks for the answers.. would still like to see pics.

B

Hows your ball joints hanging?

Blutch said:
When you use the weed burner do you just light a few coals in the middle to do the minion method?

Mo - Why do the ball joint pipe vents need to be L-shaped and pointing up? Just curious what the reason is for going to that much trouble.

Thanks for the answers.. would still like to see pics.

B
The pipe is pointing up with the ball joint on top of that, because I am a fat old man who hates bending over, in the dark. Makes it eazyer to see how much it is open, and I only put one pipe and vent on my barrel. Thats why I don't care for a WSM, which I have had, can't see what the heck I am doing down there.

Fact is, if I have to get down on the floor for any reason I stay down there and make sure there isn't anything else I need to do, while I am there.:lol:

Yes I only light a few coal, either in the middle or on the edge.
Dave

Automotive mishap

Azinine said:
ditto. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Will be making a USD soon...

Just looking at some of my post and some how I refered to the ball valve as a ball joint and so did some others. I hope no one is putting a ball joint on there smoker because you will have to grease it every other cook.:rolleyes:
Dave

Great thread fella's. I picked up a 55 gal. barrell the other day. The company was selling them for $3 with lids. Powder coat paint was in the barrell but in a plastic liner. There is some powder dust residue on the insides but I figure a good burn should take care of any leftover residue. I'll get started on the project as soon as I finish with my taxes.

I just read it myself. Very informative. Has anyone considered cutting out a door on the side for adding coals ?

Also, how about adding a heat sink ?

I just figured if Weber won't bring a 22" WSM to us, We could bring one to them.:shock:

I am very interested in these type smokers and plan to build one this year.

Put these on my drum smoker last night at 10:00. Set temp went to bed. At 7:30 got up and temp on barrel 205. Meat 170-180. Cruiser!
IMG_1983.jpg

Norcoredneck said:
Put these on my drum smoker last night at 10:00. Set temp went to bed. At 7:30 got up and temp on barrel 205. Meat 170-180. Cruiser!

DAMN! That's what Im' talking about in my other thread.. can't even leave the offset alone for an hour to go to the store.

B

Norcoredneck said:
IMG_1983.jpg
One for you and one for the Mrs.

What's your daughter going to eat?

I am taking my UDS out on its first unattended overnight cook. Getting the temps to stabilize now and going to bed soon. Got a 10lb brisket on.

This past weekend I did two 8 lb butts a 8 lb top sirloin roast and 4 racks of ribs on the UDS. It was the toughest cook so far and I am searching for answers...

My temps weren't as stable and I had to have all the air intakes open to hold 250. There was a lot of moisture around the top of the drum. Cooking times went up significantly. Air temps weren't too bad (upper 60s), it was a bit windy, but I put up the tent with the sides.

The butts took 10 hours and the ribs took 6 1/2 hours. The butts turned out really well but the ribs never did get much of a bark.

The only things I can think of are that all of the moisture dripping kept the briqs from burning as well and/or their was so much more meat that the airflow between the meat was restricted.

What do you folks think??

Back