The Official Stickburner Thread

All the bagged wood is kiln dried so you shouldnt have to worry about smoldering issues due to being too green. But bagged wood is a very "fiscally inefficient" way to buy wood as well.

^
^
^
Understatement of the year.... At last check a full cord was running between $1,700.00 and $2,300.00 depending on your preferred retailer. :frusty::frusty:

We go to woodyard in KC to get pecan and it's also a crap shoot if it's seasoned or not. Since it's a clearing house they only know how long they've had the wood.

Almost all the wood I've ever bought there has been way too green to use for quite a while. I stopped going because it was out of the way for me and I never found anything ready to burn.

My poor old stickburner has been covered up for years now.

Desperate to refurb it, but "time".

Maybe a new thread will give me some inspiration.

According to a poll conducted on this site starting March 2016, offset smokers are the third most popular type of outdoor cookers among the Brethren...with almost 39% owning one. So I would say an official thread is certainly warranted!

Attachments

• poll.jpg
    poll.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 400
I typically buy mine from firewood suppliers that actually sell seasoned wood....many around here try to pass off green wood as seasoned. If your COS is small enough you can run it with charcoal then itll probably use fairly small splits....at least not fireplace sized. You may be able to buy the bags of logs from the hardware store and hand split them down to the thickness you're after. All the bagged wood is kiln dried so you shouldnt have to worry about smoldering issues due to being too green. But bagged wood is a very "fiscally inefficient" way to buy wood as well.

I like to keep a few bags of kiln dried around. It's good for start up or when maybe your coal bed has died out or you just need some quick flames for whatever reason. I find it often comes in handy. I tried to use it to run my pit. It works but it burns quick. Not ideal if you dont want to babysit. Might be OK if you were doing a comp where you will be standing there 10' away anyway.

2ugcfbr.jpg

Here's my behemoth. It's a LSG 30x24 vertical offset. Really happy I decided on this one when I finally got a new one a few years back. I've used a number of offsets in the past and none of them have been as idiot proof to run as this one. It's also largely unaffected by adverse weather. We had a monster storm blow through a few cooks back and it didn't seem to mind at all.

bTZ11xLl.jpg

I was a Weber smokey mountain user for almost 10yrs but wanted to try stick burning. I bought a cheap used OKJ highland and really liked the results but wanted something thicker metal and larger. I'm working on getting a propane tank cooker now. I am lucky there is a local place that sells seasoned wood to a lot of restaurants so they have lots of choices for splits they sell. I really like oak but sometimes some hickory

I’m not into stick burners but I am in love with the look of the el ray smoker that Kosmo q used on his hot and fast brisket video. I bet they’re pricey though.

The forum is about everything which is awesome. I just thought it might be cool to start a thread focused on cooking with a stickburner. Seems to me like it's all about the pellet poopers lately.
It's a faze. Did ya'll all forget about the 5 years that nearly every day someone either ordered or picked up their Shirley?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back