Can I convert smoker to propane?

Yankee smoker

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
I have a large reverse flow smoker with a 60"x 30"dia cooking chamber (42390 sq in) Fire box is approx 24"cube. It works well but I go through a lot of wood and have to feed it about every 30 minutes otherwise the temp will rise and fall from too little wood or too much wood. I would like to do local fairs and festivals but I need to have a flame that generates a more constant temp and doesn't need as much tending to. Has anyone every converted a smoker to propane with the wood off to the side of the burner for smoke. That is the set up inside an Old Hickory smoker.

I do not remember ever seeing an Old Hickory smoker that was in an offset style. All more vertical style.
I modified a cheap offset many years ago. Using propane/wood chunk in the firebox.
I tried, but never got it to work very well. Very difficult to get an even temp maintained in the cook chamber. Could be I did not figure out the required drafting to get it to work and maintain a constant temp. Most times, once the cooker was at temp. The propane would be turned down low enough. A proper wind would blow the propane out. Just like anytime cooking with propane and very low flow conditions. The smoker will not flow air/draft like when burning pure wood.
I'd suggest you just sell your offset and buy a cooker that will work for what you want.
But don't let my comments stop you. It would be cool to see one that actually worked well.
And yes, Tejas has some nice options of burners. I've bought a couple.

I had thoughts of fitting a gas rail in my main cooking chamber on my heavy offset
Plan was to use a plate across the top of the rail, diffuser, bit like an internal oven.using the Firebox for adding the extra required meat and smoke.
I do have a gas rail that would fit, it's in my combination gas/ charcoal spitroaster, doesn't get used much

A friend made a bbq trailer for his commercial venture, for the smoker he used a 275 gal. fuel oil tank, and cobbled up a propane burner from an old gas grill.
I can't remember exactly how it was laid out but he used it with chunks and it worked good. So it can be done.

I admire what you are trying to do and I understand trying to save yourself some labor. But, it's kind of like trying to put a V8 into a Volks Wagon Beetle. You can do it, but it was intended to work that way and in this case probably won't work well at all.

First and foremost is safety. Can you buy a burner assembly with a safety valve that includes a spark igniter and flame sensor and will it work in your application? Probably not. If you try to jury rig something, you are most likely making a very unsafe unit.

I see only two choices: maintain status quo or buy a commercial unit.

I wish you the best of luck.

Robert

You probably would have better luck if it wasn't a reverse flow. The pipe burners must have plenty of air to burn properly, I don't thick mounting a burner under the reverse flow plate would work. A couple of places to check out would be BQ Grills, Carolina Cookers and I think Meadow Creek even builds a propane cooker.

Last edited:
I converted a 300 gallon fuel tank to a smoker. I use an offset firebox with a small charcoal/wood fire for smoke...and a pipe burner in the tank for heat control. I do not use it as a reverse flow, but it does have a diffuser plate above the burner and smoke inlet.

Take a look at a Meadow Creek pig cooker. I used the same gas parts as they use. It does have a thermocoupled safety feature. I would not it without one. It works great.

Sure you can and it's simple. Get a one burner propane stove. Easy to find. Pipe it to the outside with black iron. Hose and regulator all on the outside. The put a large cast iron frypan on the burner. Regulate the flame so the wood smokes the way you want it. Did I say put the wood in the skillet?

Back